4 year old Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! struck a nerve did I? I think perhaps that scuba diving in a pool might be a shade less dangerous than getting your pre-pubescent child drunk, and giving them a pack of smokes. But thats not really what I was getting at.

I was joking, you said "but for someone to tell a total stranger thousands of miles away that their child isn't ready for something" and I picked something :)

Last I checked, IQ isnt about what you know its your ability to process and learn new things.

So yes there are many younger kids out there that will surpass most adults on here IQ level.

Depending on your scale, say a 160, 100 is the average person.. with above average being 125 or more. I would say there are many kids who can score above average.

While the ability to learn and grasp new concepts does come into play in SCUBA its not the only aspect. I do find that more kids with higher IQs will be by default more mature. Its just a part of it.

My kids have yet to be tested aside from them being in AP or GT classes. Is their IQ higher than others? Well, I dont have proof right now but am sure, based on the kids around them in their school, they are more advanced since their classes are the top levels in their respective grades. It doesnt mean anything though if they dont apply it properly.

I agree with the above poster about how so many people here want to profess all this "dont dont dont" when as a whole, we get no where fast with that attitude. I tell my kids to do do do! I dont hold them back. I encourage and then help guide them in doing so in a safe manner.. If they came in wanting to attach wings to a bicycle, we would study up on what would be the best way to do so and how to go about doing it in the best way for it to get off the ground. I wouldnt tell them that its dangerous. Heck, we fly to our destinations because a couple of guys thought of making something with wings and running off a hill with it.

In any case, its good to see other people who wont stiffle their kids so this next generation will have a batch of open minds ready to embrace new challenges with creative out of the box thoughts.

Next time we go diving in the ocean, the kids have full reign on what and where and how deep.

The largest pressure change happens within the first 33ft. the rest is just a number and most people wont realize how deep they are until they look at thier gauges.

Guess this topic needs to be added to the Split Fins, BP/W, LDS vs Internet, etc list.

To the OP, glad to see your son is excited. My 7 year old is the same way. He wants to dive and talks about it non-stop. He started swimming last year, we just got back from the beach and he spent every minute we were on the beach in the water and has become very comfortable. He's snorkling in the pool some and at this point, I'm glad to see him just becoming comfortable in the water, being able to swim figure 8s between my legs in the pool, learning different kicks and how to breath without stopping, etc. I'm going to rig a harness and snorkle vest for him so he can do a little snuba in the pool, see what it's like to breath off a regulator, etc.

We'll see what happens and when, now, like you, I'm just enjoying his interest in something I love.

Guess this topic needs to be added to the Split Fins, BP/W, LDS vs Internet, etc list.

To the OP, glad to see your son is excited. My 7 year old is the same way. He wants to dive and talks about it non-stop. He started swimming last year, we just got back from the beach and he spent every minute we were on the beach in the water and has become very comfortable. He's snorkling in the pool some and at this point, I'm glad to see him just becoming comfortable in the water, being able to swim figure 8s between my legs in the pool, learning different kicks and how to breath without stopping, etc. I'm going to rig a harness and snorkle vest for him so he can do a little snuba in the pool, see what it's like to breath off a regulator, etc.

We'll see what happens and when, now, like you, I'm just enjoying his interest in something I love.

Bravo..

We had a tank at the bottom of the pool and the wife would be down there hanging out.. eventually the kids would get curious and venture down there and they tried out the octo.. after that, they were hooked..

The kids enjoy scuba.. I dont see them "obsessed" over it, but they do enjoy it. The wife and I are more in the obsessed category.

For now, its an awesome opportunity for the kids to see and experience many things before they get older and on their own. (when they have to foot the bill themselves!)

Ah I wouldn't worry about it too much. On here, someone could make a post "why fins are great" and someone would argue about the merits of barefoot diving :D

Last I checked, IQ isnt about what you know its your ability to process and learn new things.

So yes there are many younger kids out there that will surpass most adults on here IQ level.
This is somewhat irrelevant to the discussion as overall smarts isn't really one of the arguments against kids learning to dive, but I'm interested with this. Is there really no relevance between IQ and age? Because remembering the tests, I don't think I could have done as well when I was 10. It's just a bit hard to wrap my head around.

Coldwater_Canuck:
Because remembering the tests, I don't think I could have done as well when I was 10. It's just a bit hard to wrap my head around.

IQ tests for young children are not the ones given to adults. You know more as an adult than you knew as a child. Also, an IQ test will determine a "mental age." That mental age is divided by your actual age. The result is multiplied by 100. If you are 10 and score a mental age of 10. 10/10=1. 1*100=100. 100 is, by definition, average. If at 10, you scored a mental age of 15, you would be quite bright with an IQ of 150. If your mental age was 7, you'd have an IQ of 70. It gets a little more complicated as you become an adult, but that's the basic concept as I understand it. I'm not an expert in this, but I have read a little bit about it.

IQ tests for young children are not the ones given to adults. You know more as an adult than you knew as a child. Also, an IQ test will determine a "mental age." That mental age is divided by your actual age. The result is multiplied by 100. If you are 10 and score a mental age of 10. 10/10=1. 1*100=100. 100 is, by definition, average. If at 10, you scored a mental age of 15, you would be quite bright with an IQ of 150. If your mental age was 7, you'd have an IQ of 70. It gets a little more complicated as you become an adult, but that's the basic concept as I understand it. I'm not an expert in this, but I have read a little bit about it.

Oh I see, thanks, so IQ is intentionally adjusted for age? In that case, does saying a kid has an IQ higher than an adult have any meaning other than "eventually this kid will be smarter than this adult"? I honestly never knew about this, I thought IQ was just a hard number.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom