4 the Alberta Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If anyone in the Calgary area is thinking of heading out to Minnie, I have only one word - GO! For the first time in my memory you can actually see a resonable distance underwater - here's some pix from a dive I did last weekend:

=
02.jpg

=
03.jpg

=
04.jpg

=
05.jpg

=
06.jpg

Bryan

Give it another week till run off hits and then the vis will suck for another 4 - 6 weeks :)

Dennis
Former Alberta diver.

Pez de Diablo:
Give it another week till run off hits and then the vis will suck for another 4 - 6 weeks :)

Dennis
Former Alberta diver.
Blah blah blah...cenote cenote cenote

Jealousy is not becoming.

Jeff,

It's not all bikinis, diving and sand down here. Todays dives sucked. We had a huge rain last night (at least it cooled things off, it's been 31 everyday for the last couple weeks) that reduced vis down to under 200' in the cenotes.

I remember doing ice dives at Minnie when you could see the top of the dam from the surface, amazing.

Bryan, great pictures! There is lots to explore in Minnie.

Dennis

Pez de Diablo:
It's not all bikinis, diving and sand down here. Todays dives sucked. We had a huge rain last night (at least it cooled things off, it's been 31 everyday for the last couple weeks) that reduced vis down to under 200' in the cenotes.
Geez....Why even get out of bed for that. Like come on...what are you thinking.

Mind you, I might have to dive in those crud conditions, I am going to try and get down to your neck of the woods this November.

JeffG:
Geez....Why even get out of bed for that. Like come on...what are you thinking.

Mind you, I might have to dive in those crud conditions, I am going to try and get down to your neck of the woods this November.

I look forward to your visit. Just give me a few weeks notice, I have been very busy.

Dennis

I was gonna say, I've only done Minnie in the winter under the ice and vis was pretty good. Could see the damn from the surface while standing there. Pics look pretty similar to the ones our guys took though.

Pez de Diablo:

Dennis
Former Alberta diver.

I don't think we'll have to wait that long - given the amount of rain we've had the last few day's, I'd be willing to bet the vis is now officially measured in inches.

Bryan

bcsean:
I was gonna say, I've only done Minnie in the winter under the ice and vis was pretty good. Could see the damn from the surface while standing there. Pics look pretty similar to the ones our guys took though.

There's only two times to dive minnie if the plan is to see stuff - in the winter (ether ice diving, or immediatly before the freeze) and immediatly after the lake thaws. Inbetween those times the lake has pretty much 0 vis - mix of runoff and silt stirred up by the myriad of divers at the site.

Good for practicing emergency drills - buddy breathing and emergency accents are 1,000,000 times harder when the water is so silty you cannot see your hand pressed against your mask!

Bryan

Warthaug:
I'd be willing to bet the vis is now officially measured in inches.
A touch more than inches, but no more than 4 ft.

Back
Top Bottom