3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe there are plans to print full guns and AR-15 parts. So a gun handle is pretty Innocent.

Just imagine if he sells the handle to somebody and they put together a complete gun and shoots somebody. I know that technically printing only the handle isn't illegal- although there's supposed to be metal in it if it's a complete gun but you never know where it's going to end up.

Just imagine if he sells the handle to somebody and they put together a complete gun and shoots somebody. I know that technically printing only the handle isn't illegal- although there's supposed to be metal in it if it's a complete gun but you never know where it's going to end up.

There are very strict definitions about what constitutes a firearm. And the fact that other products use some identical parts makes the whole point moot. The material is irrelevant, a Glock grip frame is considered a firearm without any metal components in it whatsoever. It's chunk of plastic and is considered a firearm. A metal AR-15 receiver isn't considered a firearm until certain features exist.

If somebody is going to put together a complete firearm and shoot someone or some thing, the fact that he can't get a 3D printed grip isn't going to stop them. Depending on the firearm the person could walk into Walmart and purchase the component.

Now there may be other reasons why the mother would want to limit what the kid is printing, but a friend has a GoPro mount that uses an AR-15 grip, so the idea that the kid is printing a grip being in any way culpable, either legally or emotionally, is just silly.

Any chance we could pull this back to 3d printing as it applies to scuba gear?

I did get 3 dives on my pseudo duro poppet last week, breathed like a champ! I'll probably crack it open tonight to inspect, but I think this one is a finished design.

Does any one has the specs of the BDC valve flange thread of the Mares BCD ?
I'm trying to model the BCD flange of the Mares BCD.
I did a test print but it fits too tight.
View attachment 514676

Test nut OK with the thread.
file-17.jpeg

Hi all - I have 2 handheld dive torches from China that I'm looking to create a mount for. Thinking of a Goodman style handle that could mount either one (in the middle) or both (side by side). Also something to hold the torches parallel further down the body.

A friend of mine has a 3D printer and he said he'd print it and post over. He's not a diver though so didn't know what the best material/filament would be for that environment. Any suggestions?

I'm going to measure up the torches this evening, download Fusion 360 and have a go at modelling something. Probably design it to attach the torches by cable ties.

Hi all - I have 2 handheld dive torches from China that I'm looking to create a mount for. Thinking of a Goodman style handle that could mount either one (in the middle) or both (side by side). Also something to hold the torches parallel further down the body.

A friend of mine has a 3D printer and he said he'd print it and post over. He's not a diver though so didn't know what the best material/filament would be for that environment. Any suggestions?

I'm going to measure up the torches this evening, download Fusion 360 and have a go at modelling something. Probably design it to attach the torches by cable ties.

I understand that the best material for underwater use is ABS. PLA is biodegradable (degrades with water and sunlight), more rigid and not so resistant as ABS.
If you look in Thingiverse you will find some Goodman style projects.

Adding to what emoreira said, print at 95% infill or more, 3d prints are porous so low infill prints will fill with water eventually. If you want to lighten it up, put lightening holes in the design.

I designed and printed a hard-goodman handle for my Brynite DIV08.
Looking forward to bring it to a divesite and see how it works. On land i like it a lot. Fits very good and feels great.
It is printed with PLA at the moment. When it works out nice i will make a new one in PET-G which should hold up better in the water.

Attachments

• 20190504_15_10_51-000279.png
    20190504_15_10_51-000279.png
    207.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20190504_150425.jpg
    IMG_20190504_150425.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20190504_150430.jpg
    IMG_20190504_150430.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20190504_150553.jpg
    IMG_20190504_150553.jpg