3D printing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro 108/109 Diaphragm cover by James1979
Modeling it in FreeCad was easy... I'll try printing but I have concerns about supports. If anyone has a dual print head and can run a separate support material, this design would probably be a great candidate.

edit to add: support worked out, but still need to iterate until the design is right... will work on it more later. I did post the FreeCad Files if anyone wants to adjust from what I have.

Thats great! I will try it too.

View attachment 508652 View attachment 508653 View attachment 508654 View attachment 508655

First few prints from my peopoly moai. First one is a tool to turn the vat level nuts. The flat edges are measured to turn the nut on a 0.7mm pitch screw by .1mm. It makes vat leveling (the equivalent to bed leveling with FDM) much easier. The other two are obvious. Rose and a guitar pick. My son (guitar player) doesn't like the pic.. sniff. Guess you can't win them all That rose took about 6 hours to print at a medium quality (50um).

I guess I screwed up and ordered tough resin instead of soft. Not exactly good for o-rings :(. I've pretty much emptied out the petty cash account so I'll have to wait to get the soft resin for a while.

I'd almost like to get a cheap monoprice FDM to prototype before printing with SLA. This could get out of hand quickly.

Turned out pretty good! Can you post a pic of the rose with something for scale? How long did it take? Very cool...

It's a wee rose. About 39mm wide, 36mm tall. It took about 6.5 hours to print (that's the main drawback to laser sla). I sized it down to 50% of the original design because I thought it would look better and would print faster both. There's a stem and leaves that were also part of the design on thingiverse but I didn't print them.

DSC_3182.JPG

It's a wee rose. About 39mm wide, 36mm tall. It took about 6.5 hours to print (that's the main drawback to laser sla). I sized it down to 50% of the original design because I thought it would look better and would print faster both. There's a stem and leaves that were also part of the design on thingiverse but I didn't print them.

View attachment 508684

Looks really cool. 6.5 hours is a looonnggg time though. I have zero experience / knowledge of resin printers, so excuse my ignorance. Do you have an est. of how much that print cost?

The detail is really amazing...

Looks really cool. 6.5 hours is a looonnggg time though. I have zero experience / knowledge of resin printers, so excuse my ignorance. Do you have an est. of how much that print cost?

The detail is really amazing...
I just bought it last week $1,400.00. Expensive and slow, for sure. That said, I believe it's the cheapest laser SLA you can get by a wide margin. Fortunately, it's quiet and not nearly as finicky as the "regular" 3d printers I've used.

I just bought it last week $1,400.00. Expensive and slow, for sure. That said, I believe it's the cheapest laser SLA you can get by a wide margin. Fortunately, it's quiet and not nearly as finicky as the "regular" 3d printers I've used.

I meant what did it cost to print the rose? Material wise?

Holy moly that's expensive (for me anyway)! I think I have almost ~ $320 wrapped up in my little FDM printer (including ~ 8 rolls of different filament and rasberry pi 3+).

That's hard to say for sure. The printer uses a liquid resin that you pour into a vat. The vat didn't have noticeably less resin in it after the print, but I'm not sure how to really measure it per print like you can do with an FDM.

The resin is $70.00/liter. That's also expensive. I've printed 5 parts (and 2 failures) and I can't really tell that the vat has gone down at all. I wish there was a better way to measure it. Maybe I could compare vat contents based on weight instead of volume.

That's hard to say for sure. The printer uses a liquid resin that you pour into a vat. The vat didn't have noticeably less resin in it after the print, but I'm not sure how to really measure it per print like you can do with an FDM.

The resin is $70.00/liter. That's also expensive. I've printed 5 parts (and 2 failures) and I can't really tell that the vat has gone down at all. I wish there was a better way to measure it. Maybe I could compare vat contents based on weight instead of volume.

Can you recycle the resin when you have a botched print?

In most of the software that I have used there's an option to put in how much a roll of "x" amount of filament cost. With that it calculates how many grams, and how much it will cost to print a model. Again, I have no experience with resin. No sure what program you use.

Can you recycle the resin when you have a botched print?
The resin hardens into a solid when the laser hits it. The stuff that's solid can't be reused (afaik) so you pull it out and pitch it. Maybe there is some way to reclaim it, kind of like you could with a regular printer and a filastruder I'm not sure.

Back
Top Bottom