3d party computer download and logging software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there any good third party software for importing computer dive log data? At the moment, all my recent dive info is on the Garmin cloud (nothing against Garmin). I'm considering getting a Shearwater and using the Garmin as a redundant so I'll now have data on two clouds. Then there are the dives logged on my old Aqualand (DOS) software that I can barely run anymore. Another factor, Garmin was hit with a ransomware attack some time back and I was sweating it a week or so that I may lose all my dives; it's bothered me ever since. Any recommendations? In my next life my plan is to keep better paper records...

Are there any good third party software for importing computer dive log data? At the moment, all my recent dive info is on the Garmin cloud (nothing against Garmin). I'm considering getting a Shearwater and using the Garmin as a redundant so I'll now have data on two clouds. Then there are the dives logged on my old Aqualand (DOS) software that I can barely run anymore. Another factor, Garmin was hit with a ransomware attack some time back and I was sweating it a week or so that I may lose all my dives; it's bothered me ever since. Any recommendations? In my next life my plan is to keep better paper records...
I use subsurface; Subsurface Divelog
Free, open source, multi platform.

Subsurface desktop has a great graphical dive planner, where you can drag points on the dive profile to see what it does to your deco and air consumption.

For the phone I found I preferred the 'Diving Log' app by Sven Knoch to Subsurface, but both are good. Both support all main dive computers, and many obscure ones.

Are there any good third party software for importing computer dive log data? At the moment, all my recent dive info is on the Garmin cloud (nothing against Garmin). I'm considering getting a Shearwater and using the Garmin as a redundant so I'll now have data on two clouds.
I did the same, but backwards. Shearwater first, then added the Garmin.

I had started using Subsurface prior to getting the Shearwater, so adding it was simple. I was, at the time, just using the desktop version, as my Oceanic required a cable to download. With the Shearwater, I added the mobile app, and used Bluetooth to download to Subsurface Mobile on my phone. You currently can't download via Bluetooth from the Garmin directly to Subsurface, but you can get the data later.

Here's my process. After dive(s) download from Shearwater to Subsurface Mobile on my iPhone. I update the log with my gear information, but leave location blank. When I get home, I pull the Garmin data into Subsurface on my MacBook. There are two ways to do this. You can't use BT as mentioned, but can either use direct cable USB connection, or you can download the .fit files. I use the .fit files as direct connection can sometimes not work right if something grabs the Garmin first. To download the .fit files, just go to Garmin Connect and find the dives under Activities. It will download as a Zip file. You'll need to unzip it to import.

Find a folder that you want to use on your computer. On mine, I just created one called Garmin, with a sub-folder called Activity. Save the .fit files here. Note: You may need to remove the "_ACTIVITY" from the file as it may be too long. Then go to Subsurface on your computer. Make sure the latest dive from your Shearwater are showing, if not sync to Cloud Storage. Select import from Dive Computer and choose the appropriate DC, then in the path, enter the path before the "Garmin/Activity". Your dives should show up. If the times of the dives on your Garmin and Shearwater sync up (or at least close enough) then the Garmin dives will be added into the same dive. You'll have two DC screens and location data will be pulled from the Garmin file.

Back
Top Bottom