300 bar European cylinders vs DOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking

Contributor
Reaction score
I did some quick research for another post (Decostop) and wanted to post it here because I believe this will help everyone understand the concerns I have with pumping LP cylinders to elevated pressures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The criteria below is for Faber's 85 cf 3AA DOT cylinder and a 300 bar European cylinder. As you can see from the data the European cylinder is almost 10 lbs heavier and made from an alloy that is 20% higher psi yield.

WaterCapacity(cu.in.) 793
External Diameter(in.) 7.01 (178mm)
Length(in.) 25.98 (659mm)
Work Pressure (psi) 2400
Weight Empty (lbs) 31.2
Regulation Comments DOT 3AA

300 bar Faber
liter 12
diameter 178mm
length 650mm
working pressure 300 bar
weight 18.6 kg (40.92 lb)
Regulation EN 1964-1:1999 (PED)

This data is from Faber's website accessed on 12/6/2005

Lee
www.seapearls.com

Further inquiry into Faber's data base supports my position that Faber makes no cylinder larger than 7.01 inches at 300 bar. The highest pressure rating listed on their website for a cllinder larger than 7.01 inches is for a 8" 250 bar Italian cylinder.

It really depends on what tanks one chooses to compare.

Over the years I have heard many people assert that Faber makes tanks for European markets that are identical to the one US DOT spec ones, but are rated for higher pressures, However, I have rarely heard anyone specifiy that they are the 300 bar tanks. So maybe the 300 bar tank is not the best choice for a comparison.

If you look at higher pressure, but not 300 bar tanks, you will find that Farber turns out numerous 8" diameter 15 liter 203 and 232 bar tanks to meet various Euro and world standards, that weigh within a few ounces of what the US 95 does. So while it seems clear that the US LP tanks are not relabled 300 bar tanks, the possibility that they may be a slightly modified 203 or 232 bar tanks remains. However, even if this is true it is almost certain that there are differences in heat treating and maybe metallurgy, that makes it foolish to assume they are identical.

Leadking:
Further inquiry into Faber's data base supports my position that Faber makes no cylinder larger than 7.01 inches at 300 bar. The highest pressure rating listed on their website for a cllinder larger than 7.01 inches is for a 8" 250 bar Italian cylinder.
Leadking:

Back
Top Bottom