300 Bar (4,500) psi tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A34735

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks,

Has anyone tried using Luxfer carbon fiber tanks for diving? These range in weight from 6to 12lbs empty, go up to 4500 psi and range from 65 to 87 cubic feet. I know they'll be expensive, but could I fit a DIN pillar valve onto one of these? I really like the idea of easy lifting...

The only 4500 psi tank, specifically for scuba, I can find in the US is a Luxfer 105 CF: it has the same dimensions as an 80CF, weighs 34lbs (vs 30 for the regular 80). Any comments will be welcome,

All the best,

Nigel

.....where will you be getting 4500 PSI fills ? ...also, the only tank on your list available for scuba use is the Luxfer 105 cubic foot one...the others are not designed (or legal) for underwater use and you will never get anyone to knowingly fill those other ones for scuba use......also, it is probable the other ones use a different diameter/thread type valve that will not accept the attachment of a scuba regulator anyway.

Ill bet 4500 psi would kill any 1st stage.

Typically carbon fiber tanks are not used for scuba because they are too light for that application. Having a light tanks and then adding a bunch of weight to your belt is not a good trade off for your back.

Mat.

Any shop with a booster can give a 4500psi fill.

It won't kill a quality first stage. Of course it will put more stress on it, not arguing that. It's not common, but there are divers putting over 4000 in their 3AA cylinders. Their regulators don't spontaneously explode.

Also, take into account the effect that damaging the CF wrap could have on the cylinder passing inspections. It could be quite a hassle. Not to mention the mandated 15 year life span......

I guess I don't see the point? A CF tank is going to cost a small fortune. Add into the mix the lack of places that could fill to 4500psi, and the fact I'm not sure you can find a valve for the beast, and you seem to have more problems than gas.

You can certainly jam 3500 psi into a steel 100. That is common, and more practical even if it weights more than carbon fiber.

Hmmm...for me the benefit is not lugging around 20 or 40lbs (for twinset) of excess tank weight. And personally, I like having the weight on my belt: I'm positively buoyant when I dump it.

Price is a problem, but there are stations that fill to 4500psi. The real obstacle is regulatory - (though these bottles are used every day by firemen etc in their SCBA kit).

BTW...as a new member of SB (I joined today) I'm very impressed (delighted might be a better word) with the replies to my posts. Thanks guys....
All the best,
Nigel

Hmmm...for me the benefit is not lugging around 20 or 40lbs (for twinset) of excess tank weight. And personally, I like having the weight on my belt: I'm positively buoyant when I dump it.

Price is a problem, but there are stations that fill to 4500psi. The real obstacle is regulatory - (though these bottles are used every day by firemen etc in their SCBA kit).

BTW...as a new member of SB (I joined today) I'm very impressed (delighted might be a better word) with the replies to my posts. Thanks guys....
All the best,
Nigel

Beware. Now you're not going to like many. You're going to get hordes of scubaboard members that worship Tobin George and act like they're god's gift to water on here telling you how dangerous you are with your weighting choice! Just wait.

Depending on where you live in Florida, getting a 4500psi fill shouldn't be a problem. If they have a booster, they can do 4500psi. FWIW, I know of 1 shop that doesn't have a booster around me, and I know of at least 3 within an hour that do. However my buddy in Richmond only knows of 1 shop out of several in his area that has a booster.....but......

Getting the carbon fiber tanks for your uses isn't really an option. Go get a rebreather.

From the repleys sofar,you guy's have a problem.:)
4500 psi or 300bar :D is quite common overhere.

But would your tanks be good for diving....:no:
Whatever you lost in weights on your tanks,you will be replacing with weights on you belt.
4500psi/300bar is just fine (for us) but get it in steel tanks.They are heavier then normal tanks so you can cut on the weightbelt.

And as for your regs. all new Din (300bar)regs will do just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom