$300-500 to spend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidPT40

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the best setup I can get in the $300-$500 range? Unfortunately, fuji doesnt make a waterproof case for my 3100 digital camera I already have. So I need a new camera.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I'd look at the Canon A series (you can do a search for Canon A to get some recent results).

Your budget will be blown by a little if you go the Oly 50x0 and housing route, but it might be worth checking out.

Lots of people are happy with their Canon S series cameras, too. Olympus Stylus might suit you, too!

Also have a read of the Getting Started thread...more MP is not necessary the be all end all and digital zoom isn't worth it. I'd make sure that you have complete manual control in whatever you go for.

Here's a site to compare cameras side by side which I found very helpful in making decisions...

Have fun shopping! Ask questions as they come up!

Ditto, what Alcina said. A Canon A95 will run a little over $300 + another $200 for the UW case. An excellent 5 megapixel, 3x optical zoom camera that will take great pictures out of the box.

Canon a95 looks nice. How important is it to have an attachable strobe for the camera? The pictures I will be taking are for personal use, so they dont need to be super high quality.

As far as cameras go, which would be a better one to have, the Olympus c5050 or the Canon a95?

You will get many opinions on external strobe, mine is skip getting one altogether. Digitals do a pretty good job with the internal stobe if you get close (then get closer). Do always use the strobe UW if the subject is in range.

Ok, so right now I am thinking about getting the Canon a95 with the DC50 underwater housing. Will this be sufficient for taking pictures in lakes and quarries?

I'm a big fan of the Canon A series (proabably becuase I have the A70 myself). I wanted something simple and inexpensive for shore diving so that if I break it, I'm not going to miss a house payment in replacing it.

You can see some shots using this at www.legopacific.com

The A70 (3MP) is obviously on it's way out, but the rest of the series is very similar. I october a local shop was selling the A70 with a little printing station for under $200. You can still get this on ebay.

It depends what you want from your photos. If you want control over your lighting, then, yes, you need an external strobe.

However, the internal strobe on these particular cameras is very good. I would definitely learn to use this camera without the external strobe first, then add a strobe later if you want to. The Canon A95 is suitable for external strobes.

You will also want to learn to set your white balance manually as this will help with underwater shots without using the flash at all. Colours don't POP at depth, but they are pleasing and can be tweaked. No backscatter from the flash with this method.

The advice above to get close and then get close is excellent. One word of caution, you can only get as close as the minimum focus distance your camera offers or things will be blurry. A little practice and shoot, review, adjust, shoot, review, adjust will get you there. Internal flashes are good to about 3', maybe 4' - 1 foot is better.

On my Canon A70 I had to turn the strobe intensity down one click or it overpowered the subject and overexposed everything. My insurance company just replaced my stolen A70 with the A75 and I haven't had a chance to work with it yet, but I expect very similar results.

As for the Oly 5050 - that is a totally different camera. It's huge compared to the Canons. It offers an excellent SuperMacro mode which is nice for those teeny things, but you have to get extremely close. I'd go for this camera if size didn't matter and if you were going to use it all the time and really wanted to explore uw photography. I almost never grab this camera for my land stuff - it doesn't fit in a pocket and I have to mess with taking that film thing off the internal flash (needed to use the external underwater).

The Canon has full manual control and you can add lenses and strobes later. I think this is a great entry - inexpensive, flexible (just look at LukeRob's gallery from his A70) and great results. It's also very user friendly.

DavidPT40:
What is the best setup I can get in the $300-$500 range? Unfortunately, fuji doesnt make a waterproof case for my 3100 digital camera I already have. So I need a new camera.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

THIS may help you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom