3 person Buddy team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frostedgimp

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just certified advanced open water this last summer, along with my 2 teenagers, 14 and 16 years old. We have done a number of dives along the coast of Maine and in some local lakes. We have developed a good system for the 3 of us, with duties and objectives spelled out before we go under. This works well for us , but here is my question. We are going on our 1st dive vacation to Bonaire in April, are we going to be allowed to dive as a 3 person buddy team or are we going to have to take on a 4th? I am quite protective of the kids and I need to keep them close. I trust thier abilities and judgement, they aren't hotdogs( at least not yet). If my wife would just decide to take up the sport my problem would be solved, but bubble watching and soaking up the sun is her fun time. So is a 3 person dive team a doable thing or not? We love the diving in Maine but we are looking forward to something more than 45 degrees and 20ft vis..

Being that most people shore dive as I'm sure you will be, at least some, then you can pretty much do as you please. No one to tell you what to do. That's the beauty of Bonaire. But even if you boat dive you should be able to dive as a three person buddy team. I know of no rules about how many persons it takes to be a buddy team.

A three person team is very doable, especially in clear water. Make sure everyone is clear on who the team leader is and that the person chosen has good awareness. Set the pace at that of the slowest diver and have a blast!

Ditto to all above. With three person teams you need very clear topside communication. I'e had two instances where, well lets say, it didn't work too well. Since you and your sons have a few dives under your belt (especially in the North Atlantic) you seem to have most of the "kinks" worked out. These dives in warmer, clear water should be easy. Just remember, any dive can turn, be ready for it, dive safe and have fun.

If someone tries to lump you all with the odd diver out on the boat guy
tell that someone you guys are training for the All Ages CanUsa Record
Synchronized Underwater Breathers Society, or just that you are lepers.

Why not contact the dive op and ask - it varies sometimes on the guide of the day and how they like to arrange their divers.

If you were diving with me, I'd make a team of three and the spare diver would become my buddy - problem solved.

Depends on your approach to diving, what type of diving you are doing, and maybe the level of experience of the extra buddy. When I'm guiding, I usually brief that buddy teams stay together, of course, but regardless of the number of divers following me, we are all one dive team together, able to assist any member of the team in an emergency. I work in a resort area where conditions are usually 30m viz and fairly easy to manage, so the system works well. In poor viz and strong currents it's a different story.

Have fun on Bonaire - I never had the opportunity to visit but I worked on Curaçao for a year and the region is very beatuiful.

Cheers

C.

I believe that 3 person buddy teams are more effective than 2 person teams. The chance of someone seeing a problem and being close enough to help increases dramatically and 3 is still not too many people to effectively communicate together underwater.

I've been boat diving in Bonaire twice. Both times we stopped at the dive site, the guide gave us a briefing and we went diving. At no time did the guide or boat master check buddy teams. They assumed everyone could handle buddying up on their own.

Never an issue where I have dived, and I frequently dive in a three person buddy team.

I would prefer to dive with two people I know than team up with an unknown.

In my experience one of your guys can buddy up with the Divemaster on the charter or you can work as a three man team. I regularly dive with my two sons as a three man team and it works well. I make the boys dive side by side and I stay close and behind and slightly above to keep an eye on both of them. Don't be bullied into accepting an "Insta-buddy" if you have any concerns whatsoever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom