3 mm Socks Under Boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone wears anything under their booties like a pair of neoprene socks? I did some diving this weekend and got a wicked blister for some reason. The botties were the right size, but they still gave me trouble. I was looking around, but they only seem to have lycra socks that are probably the thickness of a rash guard. Does anyone know of anything that's a little bit thicker?

My husband picked up a pair of neoprene socks at a sports shop when we were in Maui last.

I use polypro hiking socks under my Chuck Taylors when I dive wet. So far, they haven't given me blisters.

Socks are available in Lycra, Polyofin, .5mm, 1.5 mm, 2mm and 3mm thickness. The Henderson Microprene Socks in 1/2mm might work well with your boots.
New ultra thin, super stretch 1/2mm neoprene
The best in warm water exposure
Strong flatlock stitching design
COLOR: Black only
MENS SIZES: 6 through 14
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195898&highlight=scuba.com

I recommend the Henderson Microprene Socks, bought it from scuba.com and so far, cannot go back to wearing boots without it.

When diving several times a day for several days in a row I'd develop wear spots on my feet where the boot seams would remove several layers of skin. These wear spots are very slow to heal.

I tried using some 2 or 3mm neoprene socks to avoid the problem. It worked, but putting on and removing the socks was a bit difficult.

Then one time I just used my regular old ribbed dress socks. Worked fine. Easier to put on and my feet don't develop blisters or wear spots.

I do try to remember the sequence first putting on the socks before the wetsuit, othewise the tops of my argyle socks stick out above the top of my boots. That unusual fashion statement sometimes causes a bit of amusement on dive boats. :)

I had the same issue with my Insyta-Dry boots. After a week of diving in Cozumel, wore a notch into my achilles tendon. Bought the lycra socks and dove fo a week on a liveaboard with no problem. Since they're thin they won't affect the fit of the boot but they provide enough of a barrier to prevent chafing and blisters.

I have neoprene 3mm socks that I use in winter (diving wet) and they add significant warmth (mmmm lets just say... delay the onset of mind numbing cold in my feet) by a large margin. In summer I just use whool socks or nothing.

3mm neoprene socks (Akona) under boots when, wet and over hiking socks dry (70 is warm water for NY, every bit helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom