3 Missing in deep dive incident - Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless your bouyancy control is so bad you shouldnt be in the water, what does it really matter? :p
Ive been at walls that just keep going into the blue and its really not as bad when youre there as it is thinking about it :p

I have to agree with him. As a kid I would swim in waters 100+ feet deep and just to think about what could be going on below you is fun - a bit scary. Just to think about it, it is a mental thing. Imagine being a mile up in the air! How many whales or giant squid could be just below you :) Or Giant lobsters...

The divers going to 250 feet and getting narced and running out of air is worse, though. That really scares me.

No one will ever know what really happened in this case. There are so many conflicting reports both in the media, local diver community and authorities.

I would also suggest that scuba deaths are "rare" because they are underreported and covered up. There's a lot of reasons this could be declared a "no liability" death ...the very last one would be because that's what it was.

Just my two cents

I'm less interested in blame, more interested in knowing facts so I can learn from them and not repeat the same mistakes. For those who haven't already read it, "Diver Down" is a great book that reviews a few case studies on mistakes made by divers. It has been extremely helpful in keeping me modest and safe as a beginning diver.

I was in PV on the 14th diving on a pinnacle out in the edge of the bay. Or trying too. The current was ripping at 12-14 knts. I got down about 10' trying to pull myself along the anchor line and aborted the dive. This was a first for me durring my 30 year history. I can only imagine if the same strength current was pulling these guy down as the bay gets quite deep Ive heard. Moral of my story is "If in doubt get out". I was man enough to terminate the dive to dive another day, and not care what anybody said about it.

I was in PV on the 14th diving on a pinnacle out in the edge of the bay. Or trying too. The current was ripping at 12-14 knts. I got down about 10' trying to pull myself along the anchor line and aborted the dive. This was a first for me durring my 30 year history. I can only imagine if the same strength current was pulling these guy down as the bay gets quite deep Ive heard. Moral of my story is "If in doubt get out". I was man enough to terminate the dive to dive another day, and not care what anybody said about it.

:confused::confused:12 to 14 knts?:confused::confused:

4 knts will cleanly rip the mask off your face. 6 knts will strip your rebreather off your back! 14 knts and you would be dangling naked on a horizontal line while your suit and gear went merrilly about their way.

Sorry bud, I have a hard time believing you dove in 14knt currents. Were you hanging in a waterfall?

Cheers :D

Thanks for the clarity. I could water ski on doubles at that speed! It's hard to be sure and accurate apparently. Mask leaking, yes not ripped off, hands sliding through the rope if you don't keep two hands on the line most of the time, descent line mostly horizontal. Not fun, faster than I walk at a good clip! And it's Mike - Mike

Cheers

Merry Christmas and thanks again.

Thanks for the clarity. I could water ski on doubles at that speed! It's hard to be sure and accurate apparently. Mask leaking, yes not ripped off, hands sliding through the rope if you don't keep two hands on the line most of the time, descent line mostly horizontal. Not fun, faster than I walk at a good clip! And it's Mike - Mike

Cheers

Merry Christmas and thanks again.

:rofl3::rofl3:

Yeah, I wasn't picking on you Mike, but when I read your post, I had visions of Wilee Coyote hanging on a rope with all his gear ripped off saying "great, what now" :rofl3:

Personally, anything more than a 2 Knot curent, and I'm staying on the boat.

Merry christmas Mike

Cheers

Haha 14 kts... That is on the order of a 300 mph wind I would guess. I saw 10 - 12 kts in the bay of fundy, it was scary. Think high speed river. The strongest water I ever swam in was around 3 - 4 kts. Swam in = kicked upstream for a sec, then did a drift dive wherever the hell the ocean wanted me to go; it was longshore so there was no real risk of being sucked out to sea.

I dont understand how there could be a current strong enough to suck people underwater - given the fact that we should be able to get 10+ lbs of bouyancy right away with our BCs. Would take a hell of a current to do that, and downward currents seldom just appear and hit that rate. Ive never heard of it, or a mechanism able to create it.

:rofl3::rofl3:

Yeah, I wasn't picking on you Mike, but when I read your post, I had visions of Wilee Coyote hanging on a rope with all his gear ripped off saying "great, what now" :rofl3:

Personally, anything more than a 2 Knot curent, and I'm staying on the boat.

Merry christmas Mike

Cheers
Guess you wont be diving here then: Saltstraumen Dykkersenter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom