3 Mile Barge Night Dive Report 8-11-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We met up with Rusty and the Gulf Diver for 8PM at Orange Beach Marina tonight to go out and do a night dive on 3 Mile Barge and hopefully pick up some flounder. The seas were as flat as can be and the skies were clear. It was still pretty muggy when we left, but by the time we reached the dive site I don't think anyone noticed.

I buddied up with Patrick Davis and we hit the water before everyone else. The current was very light and the water was very comfortable and warm. Visibility on the bottom was around 20-25' as far as we could tell(the lights weren't good for much more than that). Right away I tagged two nice flounder and Pat managed to poke one shortly afterwards. We swam around the wreck a few times and saw all kinds of fish. There were a few grouper on the wreck, but I don't think they were big enough to take - everyone else must have agreed since nobody came up with them. We saw some nice big queen angels and some highhats along with soapfish and toadfish as well. There were a few small schools of sheepshead, catfish, and spades running about as well. Eventually, we lost the wreck and I popped another flounder before we got our bearings straight and found it again. We circled the barge a few more times and Patrick found a flounder that someone else had shot, killed, and lost and I took a little sheepshead. We maxed out at 43' and dove for nearly an hour. We got to see a decent sized octopus crawling around out in the open and some other divers said they saw a big ole sea turtle. All in all, I think everyone had a great time as always and we came home with some nice fish. We ended up returning the 'already dead' flounder to the original shooter and still came home with plenty enough fish :D

Good work young man. Now I know who else likes night, and fishing. Have Gun, Will Travel. Never done the Ocean thing with the gun, Might be interesting and I will need a good coach.

HOzeeeeeeeeeeee

Actually, I was just using a polespear :)

I do have a gun for when I got into deeper water though. Lots and lots of fun :D

Night dives? Psh! No problem!

octotat - get out here one day, you'll have a blast!

Looks like great fun Mat, and definately good eats. I need to bring my polespear and stringer down and go floundering with you one of these days.

Matt

Even if its during the week, I'm game, as long as you're OK with an evening dive(like 6:30-7ishPM). The AL Point Jetties are close! You can poke flounder all night long there.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Even if its during the week, I'm game, as long as you're OK with an evening dive(like 6:30-7ishPM). The AL Point Jetties are close! You can poke flounder all night long there.
:) I see a roadtrip in the making.. :) I'll drop ya a line and we can work something out once I know when I can get away. Come down during the week and do some evening floundering, and possible stay the weekend and head over to destin/the springs if things work out. Sounds like a good plan to me. I'll PM ya once I have a date when I could head that way (even if it's just for floundering).

Matt

SuPrBuGmAn:
We met up with Rusty and the Gulf Diver for 8PM at Orange Beach Marina tonight to go out and do a night dive on 3 Mile Barge and hopefully pick up some flounder. The seas were as flat as can be and the skies were clear. It was still pretty muggy when we left, but by the time we reached the dive site I don't think anyone noticed.

I buddied up with Patrick Davis and we hit the water before everyone else. The current was very light and the water was very comfortable and warm. Visibility on the bottom was around 20-25' as far as we could tell(the lights weren't good for much more than that). Right away I tagged two nice flounder and Pat managed to poke one shortly afterwards. We swam around the wreck a few times and saw all kinds of fish. There were a few grouper on the wreck, but I don't think they were big enough to take - everyone else must have agreed since nobody came up with them. We saw some nice big queen angels and some highhats along with soapfish and toadfish as well. There were a few small schools of sheepshead, catfish, and spades running about as well. Eventually, we lost the wreck and I popped another flounder before we got our bearings straight and found it again. We circled the barge a few more times and Patrick found a flounder that someone else had shot, killed, and lost and I took a little sheepshead. We maxed out at 43' and dove for nearly an hour. We got to see a decent sized octopus crawling around out in the open and some other divers said they saw a big ole sea turtle. All in all, I think everyone had a great time as always and we came home with some nice fish. We ended up returning the 'already dead' flounder to the original shooter and still came home with plenty enough fish :D
Thats the humblest spearing photo I have ever seen!
I'm not doging it at all, in fact thats a complement!

Hey Guys I'm up in North Alabama (Florence) I could always come down and help carry flounder,spears, etc... :D Maybe stick some if I get a chance...

Shaun

QUETZAL:
Thats the humblest spearing photo I have ever seen!
I'm not doging it at all, in fact thats a complement!

I could always hold them really far forward to make the fish look massive :D Despite the facial expression, I was happy, but also dog tired. I was out of town working two day previous in New Orleans(which means lots of nightlife and no sleep), then worked all day on that day and it was late.

Corigan:
I'll PM ya once I have a date when I could head that way (even if it's just for floundering).

Matt

Sounds good, hopefully, our schedules will mesh. I work out of town atleast one night a week, usually Tues/Weds, but it does vary.

Flodiver:
Hey Guys I'm up in North Alabama (Florence) I could always come down and help carry flounder,spears, etc... :D Maybe stick some if I get a chance...

Shaun

Comon out, its a long walk from the parking area to the jetties. You can definately carry the icechest! :D

Back
Top Bottom