3 buddy dive vs 4?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abaco24

Contributor
Reaction score
A family of 4 and one member can't make it, but can snorkle on the same dive, what are the views/opinions of a 3 buddy dive, assuming all have DC's and make regular checks of air etc...?

If on a 6 pack, getting an extra "new buddy" on the boat, seems ok to me and would give extra responsibility to both "new divers".

We routinely dive as teams of three. It takes a little more vigilance to keep everybody together, and some agreement ahead of time as to formation (single file really DOESN'T work unless everybody has high intensity lights or everyone is REALLY committed to maintaining the team). But it's totally doable.

I respect your opinion, are you talking reefs or caves? I'm just assuming warm water family dives before I have to pay for a wedding and other divers :wink:

I dive in three man teams all the time. I prefer a three person team most times, if the choice was a three person team of "know" divers verse splitting off for an insta-buddy I am definitely sticking with my known team.

I dive with 3 often also, it is not really a big deal.

I do find it helpful to have a designated leader for the dive, the other 2 agree to follow him/her. This eliminates the possibility of one person going one way, one another and the 3rd having to decide who to follow.

I dive a 3-person buddy team quite often. It takes a great deal of vigilance/situational awareness, and communication...especially in conditions with very low vis, e.g., 5 - 10 ft. In really poor vis, we have to dive shoulder-to-shoulder with the middle person being a central point of visual contact. We usually try not to dive under such conditions, but sometimes vis can deteriorate dramatically in a short period of time.

With respect to formation, we tend to switch off duties from dive to dive, but it is helpful to designate a fearless leader.

If I were in your shoes, I would keep the 3-person buddy team of known dive buddies rather than take on an insta-buddy on a boat. Otherwise you're gambling with your vacation! Consider how much pre-dive prep you'd have to do with a complete stranger and how no one will probably be familiar with the site. It's a recipe for "issues." I like doing worry-free dives with people whom I know. Their actions are predictable, communication is clear, and we all look out for each other. That just isn't the case with strangers. (Don't get me wrong, though. I enjoy diving with strangers and/or novice divers at various local dive sites...when my vacation isn't on the line.)

Have a great vacation!

I figured 1/3's are more redundant than 1/4's

I'd like to make my team rotate responsibilities as team lead, dive profile, pre dive checks etc, gives them leadership skills too. I like it!

I definitely agree with the 3 known buddy vs 4 with an unknown! Side by side works best and just keep everyone moving in the same direction/speed and close enough to share air if necessary.

I did almost all the dives we did on the reefs in Cozumel as part of a three man team. We didn't really hold a tight formation (hard to do in the current) but as someone said, if you had looked down at us, you would have had the feeling we were connected by invisible rubber bands -- we never got further apart than a certain amount, and then would head back together. It takes training yourself to look up every thirty seconds or so to check on the whereabouts of the other divers; you can't get completely wrapped up in what you are looking at, unless you have signaled the team to come join you at whatever it is.

A set formation is easier -- if you are diving a broad reef, wing-on-wing works; if you are diving a wall, you're kind of forced into some sort of single file, but you have to stay close to stay in contact, and it's usually best to have the slowest person (usually the photographer) lead.

Since I had a chance to fly in the back with my F-16 brothers while protecting the Keys at Homestead from Castro....the base is gone now (Homestead).......I feel a 3 ship Diamond pattern is safe for diving to train my crew. I love SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom