3-21-09 Y.O. dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Had a couple of nice dives with Sea Nmf last Saturday - of course it's always good company when she's around, so I knew it would be a fun day :)

My first time on the YO and it's a LOT larger than any of the wrecks we had off Maui so that was fun in itself. We went out on the Enzo and had a very small relaxed group. I gotta say, that is a nice spacious boat to dive off of, especially when there are only 6 divers on board :wink:

Current was moving a little, but not badly, however there was a lot of weird surge and wave action for the first 30 feet. While I'm sure there are many buoy's much larger than this one, it's definitely the largest I've seen (course I'm a shore diver, so they are not that common to me anyway)

buoy.jpg

It was also fun watching the Atlantis submarine make it's pass around us (Becky said it sounds like a mosquito on steroids ... and she's exactly right)

Vis was decent at 70ft near the beginning of the dive and dropping to 40 by the end. It stayed about 40-60ft vis during our next dive at an area called "Nautilus" by the captain (apparently it has several names) and we had a relaxing dive there - the fish were incredibly friendly getting close enough that they nearly bumped my mask (which I've never had happen on open circuit scuba before) and while they kept going in front of my camera all I seemed able to catch pics of were tails leaving the frame lol. The only "critter" that would cooperate was this Tiger flat worm.

flatworm.jpg

I'd never seen this green variety before, so it was interesting to me.

Nothing earth shattering, just a nice dive with nice people - and it was so relaxing to just get wet again.

Till next time -

Aloha, Tim

Hey guys! Thanks for the post.

Would love to dive the YO once more but unfortunately when I'm out in Oahu the next time, it's a Monday and many operators are telling me they don't go to the YO during the week, only weekends. :(

Kidspot... can you recommend some decent wrecks in Maui? Operators that do these wrecks?

Pickens- do the Carthaginian. It is a replica of a tall ship that was sunk right off the shores of Lahaina. It is relatively new but already has some interesting critters growing on it.

Pickens - There are only 2 decent wrecks off Maui commonly dove, the Carthaginian - which is little more than hull with the masts attached 1/2 mile off Lahaina and the St. Anthony which is off Ulua Beach in Kihei about 1/3 mile. It's more interesting in my opinion, but it's only a 65 ft long vessel. There are a few other things around like the tank and landing craft, but they don't get dived on much and there is even less left of them. The best wrecks are the ones that go down after a storm, but you have to get to them within a week or two before the surf and surge carry them out to sea in tiny pieces.

carth4.jpg

Carthaginian 99ft long in 100fsw

anthony4.jpg

St. Anthony 65ft long in 70fsw

Aloha, Tim

Thanks!

If you are brave enough you can surface swim the Sea Tiger ;-)

Just kidding...hope you get to dive some wrecks...sometime.

Hey guys! Thanks for the post.

Would love to dive the YO once more but unfortunately when I'm out in Oahu the next time, it's a Monday and many operators are telling me they don't go to the YO during the week, only weekends. :(

Kidspot... can you recommend some decent wrecks in Maui? Operators that do these wrecks?
Hey Pickens....That's not true. Ops dive the YO during the week. The only reason that they might not go to the YO would be conditions - If the current is too strong it isn't a fun dive.

Nice pix

some one mention a shore dive to the sea tiger? been there done that.not something i would recomend, your looking at a half mile swim from the nearest shore. the entry is not good cause the only place easy to get in at is where the surffers go which will push you toward the oposite shore line.(the other side of the channel caused by the channel. finding the wreck. well you can line it up with the patio the fifth piller .but i must warn you channel has been known to have some fairly large sharp teeth lurking so keep a watchful eye. also about half way there you will notice the change in the water deep dark blue wont see the bottom and its kind of spooky dont panic. and if you do decide to go for it make sure you got a float . the boat operators out of kewalo (most) do look out for it somewhat.also suggest a suasage just in case. the parasail boats that go in and out will stop if they see it waving around. as will most dive boats.

now personally I say forget it. its not a safe shore dive. but if you do start back at 2k pounds slowlly asscending to about fourty feet. as you move in a north western direction.340. on your compus by the time you can see the bottom you should be at 20 feet it should be getting shallow now. theres a ledge that drops off youll want to keep that ledge close to your right that will tell you that the channel is just to your left . try not to get trapped by the reef it can fool you the reef runs about a quarter of amile off shore and its shallow there no way to swim back in your target should be the cement pier. keeping right along side it.

again id say take a boat ride. youll have two great dives as opposed to one. and less worries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom