~2wks on/around Tahiti... where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife seems dead-set on going to Bora Bora so I think we are going to head to Tahiti for a trip. To make it worth the distance, we will probably do ~2wks and pop around a few places. She doesn't dive so wants good (err, great) snorkeling and beautiful beaches. I of course want spectacular diving. So of course Taputa Pass it seems is a must. And we would stay a few days on Bora Bora. Where else? Is there a cruise line option that makes sense to do? She is considering a Paul Gauguin cruise as there is a medical course on-board (she is a doc), but I was looking into doing it ourselves so we could spend more time in the premo-dive locations.

Anyone got a nice itinerary for us? Also best time to go?

The "primo" dive locations are in the Tuamotus: Rangiroa, Fakarava, etc. The Paul Gauguin allows for a nice sample of several islands and the diving is made very easy from the ship's fold-down "marina". Best time to go topside is July/August because it's coolest then, but diving is good year-round.

I agree with Mossman, the best diving in FP is in the Tuamotus and nearly all the best of that diving is in the various passes.

Bora Bora is not a dive destination but has a few cool sites, but not (IMHO) spectacular sites, along with some other good sites. I would think you would be Bora Bored in less than a week if your primary emphases was "spectacular" diving. However snorkling in nearly all the lagoons is REALLY good. Raiatea and Huahine both have a few very good sites and are within ferry or short flights of Bora Bora if that's your base.

I haven't checked lately but Air Tahiti (Iti not Nui) has had a number of multi-island passes, which was a good deal if you really wanted to get out to some of the more remote atolls, without using a cruise ship and it's fixed schedule. Be sure and mention when checking in at Air Tahiti (in Papeete) that you are a diver, they have an increased baggage allowance for scuba divers with a C-card.

Not looking to "base" anywhere. Looking to move a bit. Maybe 4 days each in 4 places. Want to get a taste of the islands topside and get good diving in as well. Would be willing to pop over to cook islands too if is not toooo spendy to get there.

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming :wink:

Not much to do on land in the Tuamotus (because there isn't much land, they're atolls). There's a pearl farm and even a winery on Rangiroa, but that's only good for a day at most. Topside on Tahiti, Moorea, or Bora Bora, on the other hand, offers far more to see and do, but our 2 dives in Tahiti out of the Intercontinental paled in comparison to the clear water and sharks of Moorea and Bora Bora. Can't comment much on other islands. Nuku Hiva was interesting topside but the diving wasn't. We had an excellent 4WD tour of Taha'a but didn't dive there.

Last edited:
Check out the Air Tahti site they still offer Air Passes. One I have considered in the past is still available the "lagons pass" (#3). It really covers the some of the best diving atolls in FP: Tikehau, Fakarava, Rangiroa, Ahe, etc etc. My understanding is you can built any itinerary with mix and match islands, however you may have to return to Papeete to catch flights back out to neighboring islands. Still a great way to go, I may do this next year.

Air Tahiti : Domestic airline of Tahiti and her islands > Fares

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom