26 x Eagles Rays is called.. a herd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
okay okay.. startin' to get mundane i know.. but WOW!

26 Eagle Rays!

DSCN2682.jpg

and for kidspot who's into history :wink:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ha...est-side-2-x-whale-tails-17-x-eagle-rays.html
and..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawai-i-o-hana/196164-14-x-eagle-rays-during-double-mahi.html
(maybe next time 50 x eagle rays :eyebrow: )

and here's the slide-show..

Sharpcast Slideshow

ask "bcyber" dave and Lonnie how many.
they must'a shot the "herd" after one more joined it..
they claim 27 x Eagle Rays..

then ask "bcyber" how he and Lonnie dove "29 down" AND both LCU's in one dive :wink:

Seems to be a Mahi thing, whenever we dive it we do see a ton of rays...of course I have no pictures ...

That just goes to show that good stuff more often then not is found shallow...five of us dove the deep end ~150' in front of Hanauma yesterday, and while not a total sand dive (we saw some ginormous fish), the majority of it was looking at sand.....Capt Joe did provide some outstanding charter service/support though..and props to IDH for some last minute equipment needs.

Nice pic, color correct it and frame it.

Dave and I saw 27, so one must have joined after JJ chased them into nowhere land. -:) Look at photo # 28 at the link below to see all 27. I have some video also, but haven't uploaded it yet. Lonnie

Sharpcast - Image View

WOW - again ... mundane? nope, just plain incredible. How long did they hang around for you to watch them flying in formation?

Thanks for sharing once more :)

Aloha, Tim

26 x Eagles Rays is called.. a herd?
They're a cartilaginous fish so wouldn't it be a school?

they were around for the whole 50+ minute dive..

last time we dove the mahi.. there were 2 separate schools of about a dozen each.. almost in synchronous orbits on opposite sides of the wreck.. (i guess the 2 schools join up every now and again to make a super-school/herd :wink:)

Dave and I saw 27, so one must have joined after JJ chased them into nowhere land. -:)
Lonnie
yeah.. i was just gettin' back from "nowhere land" when i saw you and dave darting away from the ship for your turn to chase 'em :eyebrow:
(i was just so glad to have found the ship again.. i just wanted stay close and take some nize relaxing shots of the collapsed wreck :wink:)

I can't remember a bad diver ever on the Mahi. Always a joy to see the rays, whales, and tons of fish. Follow on dives were great too...we dove the 29 Down Airplane and then JJ went on to see the shallow LCU while Lonnie and I got lost and decided to dive the deep LCU. Just so you know, the deep one is about 300+ yards from the shallow one ;-) My legs are still sore. Then onto turtle canyons...that was a great 60 mintue+ shallow dive.
29down_h01.jpg

This is where Ocean Concepts got the plane. Flight 29 Down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow that is amazing!!!

Back
Top Bottom