25 year Luxfer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got my 1980's LUXFER aluminum 80's back from my local LDS ... the passed both Hydro and eddy tests and were stamped 1-05 .... 25 years and still going ...WOW

Dang, mine's only 18 years old. You win. 'Course it doesn't much get use, so it still looks nice and glossy.

archman:
Dang, mine's only 18 years old. You win. 'Course it doesn't much get use, so it still looks nice and glossy.
They look ok ...... the paint is comming off and I've got about 18 or 20 stickers on them ... been wanting to take some of the older ones off but like to watch the dive shop personel try to find the current VIP on them before filling. One thing for sure .. with a boat load of tanks I can find them really quick ....

scubapro50:
Just got my 1980's LUXFER aluminum 80's back from my local LDS ... the passed both Hydro and eddy tests and were stamped 1-05 .... 25 years and still going ...WOW

Consider your self lucky, in Miami Dade County, many dive shops will not fill any AL tank over 15 years old. (there's no provision for the alloy or manufacturer)

THAT'S JUST STUPID .... U.S. Divers gave a lifetime warranty on each one (and Luxfer will still honor it if the tank fails Hydro) Some dive shops are just so hungry for money that I bet they want to rent you another tank instead on filling the one you have. I'm going to Florida in June and if any shops refuse to fill my tanks then I'll post their names and addresses and advise all scubaboard members not to do business with them. If you know any shops with that policy please name them now so I'll won't be hasseled when I get there. My LDS here in Texas said the percent of tanks with problems are so small that you have a better chance of winning the lotto than having trouble with one. He be more worried about filling an old 1/2 steel valve than one of my tanks.

Aren't the stickers supposed to come off with each visual inspection? Couldn't you have corrosion hiding under all those stickers???

deepstops:
Consider your self lucky, in Miami Dade County, many dive shops will not fill any AL tank over 15 years old. (there's no provision for the alloy or manufacturer)
I would assume that in Miami-Dade, tank age is a proxy for wear and tear, as there's no practical way to determine how many fills a tank has undergone in its lifetime. For a diving mecca like south Florida, an upper age limit on tanks doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

But for owners of older tanks that get little use, such rules can be frustrating.

archman:
I would assume that in Miami-Dade, tank age is a proxy for wear and tear, as there's no practical way to determine how many fills a tank has undergone in its lifetime. For a diving mecca like south Florida, an upper age limit on tanks doesn't sound all that unreasonable.

But for owners of older tanks that get little use, such rules can be frustrating.
I thought that was the reason to eddy, hydro and VIP the tanks ..... all done Jan 2005 ..... now what else do I need to do ... stop in Baton Rouge and have a cacun witchdoctor put a blessing on them? Maybe shops that rent out the tanks will hit the magic 2000 fill mark but a normal diver probably won't ...... I'll even bet that the same dive shops sold their tanks to divers without explaning the problem. Luxer denies that a problem exsists except for a few tanks that were abrused or other wise not taken care of. If the problem is so bad then shouldn't they be recalled like the Firestone tires for replacement? Nobody told me about possible problems with them at the time of purchase ... i was glad to give up my 71.2 steel for them ... no rust problems and they held 3000lbs instead of 2150 lbs. like the steel. Too bad the stainless steel tanks didn't work out ..... they were stopped before hitting the market .... remember Dacor trying to sell them? They even made it into their catalog one year before being pulled.

Boogie711:
Aren't the stickers supposed to come off with each visual inspection? Couldn't you have corrosion hiding under all those stickers???
the dive shops just kept sticking them on untill there wasn't any more space then they started putting them on top on one another. I thought about trying to remove them by pealing or possible using a little paint remover to soften them up. I have use a good epoxy paint to paint tanks before (cold painting .... no heat applied to change metal structure) but some shops have said they don't like filling repainted tanks either.

Back
Top Bottom