24 Hours in Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

android

Contributor
Reaction score
We'll be stopping in Pensacola for a day (July 1st) on our way to the Keys in a few weeks.

We'd like to get in one or two good shore dives 60ft range with easy to moderate entry/exit.

Can anybody recommend a good place for us?

We'll need a HP fill since we'll be travelling I-10 with our tanks mostly empty, so if you know a good shop, that would be great.

Also, if anyone would care to go with us or take us someplace cool, we'll buy lunch and beer (for after....)

Thanks,
Andy

People seem to like the "ScubaShack" (but I've never used them).

But the real reason I added to this thread is to say to stop at the US Naval Aviation museum at Pensacala NAS. They've got a GREAT museum and it's also home to the Blue Angels. Well worth the time it takes to visit.

Also, as you come through Mobile on Interstate 10, the USS Alabama battleship is in Mobile and is another great place to visit. They also have a WWII Submarine and a large aircraft collection on display.

You may be able to get to the Fort Pickens Jetties by July 1st. The last I heard they were trying to get the place completely open by July 4th(the road and park were hit hard by Hurricane Ivan), but the road may already be open to gain access to the jetties. It can be a fun dive, maxing out in the 50-55' depths. You may even spot some tropicals amongst the rocks :)

You used to be able to dive the old pier rubble on the main beach, not sure if there is any relief out of the sand right now though... I've never actually dove the site. There are a few shore divable wrecks within Fort Pickens beaches, but they aren't as easily accessible as the jetties.

There are Jetties, beach wrecks, and springs in the Panhandle. Vortex and Morrison you can enter from the beach and get 60 feet if you go in the caves.

You would be doing yourself a real injustice if you spent the day in P'Cola and didn't go out on a boat trip. Lots of great wrecks and rubble and impressive marine life.

Scuba Shack is the largest and most comfortable boat. Easy access too.

The Grouper Ghettos are just pyramid shaped structures placed at I believe 16 locations along the reef. I have never done one of the sites so don't know how the marine life is on them but I have heard that they attract lots of fish.

Ricky and I have this theory that fish are curious and like to look at stuff. If you throw out an old tire and come back an hour later there will be some fish looking at it. So I would think that the structures that allow them a place to hide would be very popular.

Some of the wrecks, barges, and bridge rubble that have been there a few years and have a great deal of sponge and coral growth are all very beautiful and interesting. P'Cola although beautiful, is not as popular and not as often dived as say Panama City and I enjoy diving there a lot.

The Pete Tide is a fantastic wreck. The San Pablo or Russian Freighter has crumbled into a pile of twisted metal and is more popular for spear fishermen.

One most beautiful barge is the Tex Edwards and a rubble site called Secret Place.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom