2019 Sherwood Blizzard Pro, opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DerekW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
I have a chance to buy a used, recently serviced, 2019 Sherwood Blizzard pro setup with octo and spg. It's a fair deal, but not a steal.
What's the general opinion on this reg?
I'll be diving chilly Lake Huron as well as vacation dives.
Hard to find decent reviews on it. Back when I first started diving in the mid 90's the Blizzard was highly regarded, but obviously now, getting back into diving, I'm out of touch.
Thanks!

Can't help you on that one, but I have been using Sherwood since 1980 and would get another, except the used blizzard I got in 2010 and a used backup first in 2011 will outlast me. The 1980 Magnum had a rebuild in 2008 and I still use it on my pony bottle for its proven reliability.

The environmental sealing is a great feature, and I'll bet it breathes better than mine, if it's tuned properly.

Sorry I can't help more, but the rest of the regs I play with are antiques.

Good luck with your choice.

I'm into cold water diving here in Monterey, CA and Lake Tahoe. I've got one and used it exclusively for a few years. (It's the one stuck in my mouth in my avatar photo). Never had a problem with it. I did some research on cold water regs...it ranked in the top 5.

I like especially the 1st of that combo.
A 'dry' balanced piston 1st with 'floating' orifice is not new for Sherwood models, but with the 9000er models we got finally a 90' degree 1st instead of the inline models, which made it shorter on the tank valve.
The pressure compensation of the main spring chamber by injecting the air through a Schrader valve works really well and is unique as far as I know.
After service they always showed a good performance.
I don't have experience with the new Oasis Pro 2nd, but moving the lever away from the inlet side to the opposite side to reduce the danger of freezing I find interesting.
The components of the 1st are good, so I guess are the ones for the 2nd ( looks like that at least from the pictures from the Service Manual).
Me personally, I prefer chrome for my 2nds for cold water diving and the mix of plastic and metal in the Sherwood 2nds has been sometimes a bit problematic ( mostly when using Sherwood 2nds as Fleet Regulators), but I wouldn't hesitate to grab one of these models and dive it (also in cold waters) when the price is right........

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go for it.
I won't be doing any winter diving, in May, average temp is about 40°F and peaks in august around 72°F, so not ice diving by any means.
The setup is worth about $1200cdn new, and is very lightly used, and serviced in fall 2021, he's asking $800cdn, seems fair for 2 1/2 years old.
Got to check where I can get it serviced nearby first. Sherwood is, or at least was, fairly popular here in Ontario, so I'm sure there's a dealer fairly close.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll go for it.
I won't be doing any winter diving, in May, average temp is about 40°F and peaks in august around 72°F, so not ice diving by any means.
The setup is worth about $1200cdn new, and is very lightly used, and serviced in fall 2021, he's asking $800cdn, seems fair for 2 1/2 years old.
Got to check where I can get it serviced nearby first. Sherwood is, or at least was, fairly popular here in Ontario, so I'm sure there's a dealer fairly close.

Derek what is included into 800? is a lot of money for a used reg. If spend some time on facebook marketplace and ebay uk/it/de you can find a good scubapro set for way less. The last rigs I got were in a range of 260CAD (cosmetics on then second stage) for 2 stages and 450 for 3 stages 2018 model. both are with mk17 first stage. for 800 Inwoukd keep looking. The deals are out there.

Derek what is included into 800? is a lot of money for a used reg. If spend some time on facebook marketplace and ebay uk/it/de you can find a good scubapro set for way less. The last rigs I got were in a range of 260CAD (cosmetics on then second stage) for 2 stages and 450 for 3 stages 2018 model. both are with mk17 first stage. for 800 Inwoukd keep looking. The deals are out there.
Hey, thanks for your reply. I know there's always a better deal out there, I'm just not patient, lol. He does have receipts and service invoice from the fall. It includes the octopus and an XS Scuba SPG. About 30 dives on it. It's mint. New they go for about $1100-1200CDN + tax with an SPG, so like I said, fair deal, not a great deal, but I went for it.
I found some steals on other things, so I still feel I'm ahead of the game.
Thanks friend!

Hey, thanks for your reply. I know there's always a better deal out there, I'm just not patient, lol. He does have receipts and service invoice from the fall. It includes the octopus and an XS Scuba SPG. About 30 dives on it. It's mint. New they go for about $1100-1200CDN + tax with an SPG, so like I said, fair deal, not a great deal, but I went for it.
I found some steals on other things, so I still feel I'm ahead of the game.
Thanks friend!
Enjoy it its a great reg and works well in our waters. Few friends of mine dive sherwoods and like them !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom