2017 Eclipse Totality from Hopkinsville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, it just passed though, and seeing as how I live just outside Hopkinsville, KY, and work in it, and as for many I was blessed to not get knocked out of it by cloud cover, I went out in my old Canon SL1 digital SLR with Canon 100-400 mm IS lens on a tripod and grabbed some shots. This is a crop from one of the ones I liked better:

Cropped%20Eclipse%20Lower%20Res_zps4pals57r.jpg

A few observations:

1.) Even a fairly small sliver of sun lights up the countryside, anywhere from daylight to maybe half-strength (when it's really small). The sliver looks like an orange crescent moon, and that's with eclipse glasses (retinal damage from direct sun viewing is no joke!).

2.) It's not until that last sliver vanishes and 'totality happens' that the dark ball with a while halo suddenly pops into view (at least that's how I remember it).

3.) Totality entailed twilight conditions, not full darkness.

4.) Our totality was predicted to start at 1:24:39 p.m. CST, and last about 2 minutes, 40 seconds.

Richard.

P.S.: Hopkinsville was considered one of the prime locations to view the eclipse.

well it sure beats the hell outta chicago with all the perpetual clouds around here. rare is the night you can even view a few stars at night. why do i live here again?

Was supposedly 97% here in Atlanta. It looked like an eerily cloudy day, that's all. It does make one realize that just a small sliver of sun provides an amazing amount of light.

Great picture, Richard.

Hopkinsville is a small city/town of about 33,000 people in southwestern KY, so the big influx of tourists for the eclipse is a big deal. Yet in scuba, it'd kind of a big deal because it's got such a nice dive quarry - Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort.

I guess our '15 minutes of fame' actually ran a little over 2 1/2.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom