200m swim test and 10 mins water treading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look around, Phelps's body fat is quoted at ~10% with FFMI of 21. Are you sure you want to go into a muscle size contest with that?

Floating is being relaxed and lung size. Yes, your lungs are most likely smaller than those of a swimmer -- or a singer or a wind instrument player. Think of it that way: if you're not wearing a flotation device while snorkeling, the only real difference then is you can breathe through the snorkel at your own relaxed pace and keep your lungs inflated enough to stay afloat at all times.
To be fair, you brought up the comparison not anyone else.

I just checked FFMI and my current one is 25.2 and that’s being somewhat generous.

When I snorkel my face is facing down and underwater so not really sure what that has to do with anything. And my legs are usually moving.

To be fair, you brought up the comparison not anyone else.

I just checked FFMI and my current one is 25.2 and that’s being somewhat generous.

Just making sure you're serious about having body muscle-to-fat ratio greater than that of an Olympic athlete. Not that is isn't doable, it just takes some dedication.

When I snorkel my face is facing down and underwater so not really sure what that has to do with anything. And my legs are usually moving.

Because if you can do that on your face without sinking, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to do it on your back, like e.g. this guy:

Swimming is like any other life skill, the more you do it, the better you get. There is no reason for anyone to get out of breath while swimming, unless you’re in competition giving it your all. Get some professional help, and work on your technique. There is a reason that cert requires you pass a swim test. You shouldn’t be out in open water if you can’t swim, it is irresponsible towards your buddy, others you’re with and your dive master. People drown every day, it’s serious. Your life is worth learning this basic technique. Sure, there are probably some people who are sinkers, but I’ve never met any. Your lungs are a personal flotation device and once you learn how to control your body in the water, and learn to control your breathing it is very very hard to sink. For late adult swim students, I’d recommend the Total Immersion swim program, it works. You can find them on You Tube. With a two beat kick, you can swim forever.

Hi everybody, im very new here, planning to take open water course somewhere in Aug or Sept. i was non-swimmer and currently learning swimming about a month already. I feel quite anxious about the 200m swim test and water treading, currently i only can do like 75m continuos swim(breastroke) and could only last 1 minute in treading water. I want to ask for some tips on how do you guys passed the tests before?

I think a lot of posts have given you awesome advice and some really helpful videos. Keep with the swim lessons. I think you are more in your head afraid of failure right now. Trust me, I know. When I went pro I have to do a 400m swim, 800m snorkel, and a 15 or 20 minute float. That had me nervous too, but at age 51 and 52 I did it.

You stick with it. Feel confident in the water. You got this, and when the diving bug gets you and you decide to go pro you'll make that 400m swim too!

Let us know how you do when you finally do take your swim test. Keep up with the lessons, listen to the advice you got here and ace this thing!

Today i found out most of the swim part is mental, all this while i swim at the deep end of the pool, maybe i was afraid of exhausting in the middle of the pool and drown hence i have doubt to keep going. Today i swim at the shallow end and had no problem of 200m continuous breast stroke. now its time to focus on the 10m survival float

Today i found out most of the swim part is mental, all this while i swim at the deep end of the pool, maybe i was afraid of exhausting in the middle of the pool and drown hence i have doubt to keep going. Today i swim at the shallow end and had no problem of 200m continuous breast stroke. now its time to focus on the 10m survival float

Same thing: it's mostly your subconsciousness that makes you tense up and struggle that's the problem. In reality your body is roughy neutrally buoyant, give or take bone density and muscle vs fatty tissue ratios, and you have some 13 pounds of buoyancy in your chest. If you keep enough air in your lungs at all time, you cannot drown -- but the brain needs to get used to that idea.

Today i swim at the shallow end and had no problem of 200m continuous

Congrats! I knew you were close to turning the corner! Now that you know you can do it shallow try it deep too.

I would to thank everyone who gave tips and advices here. Today I practised in the deep end of the pool and completed 200m swim, and for

I would to thank everyone who gave tips and advices here. Today I practised in the deep end of the pool and completed 200m swim, and for survival float i could stay as long as I want with combination of water treading, backfloat, drownproofing and playing around in the water. Will sign up for Scuba course next.

In Scuba course, what is the most challenging thing that we need to pass?

I think it’s either clearing water from the mask or breathing off the regulator at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom