2009 Dec 26th to 2010 Jan 9th – Gorontalo, Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xariatay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Scheduled a New Year trip, to make use of the long wkends... No parties, had to wake up early for diving ya! imho, diving is worth losing sleep over & missing out on parties for... :rofl3:
"Full" trip report here 2009 Dec 26th to 2010 Jan 9th – Manado, Gorontalo - Windows Live There are links to my FB photos...
Summary:
Gorontalo was very good! Its beautiful, pristine reef is now a short flight 40mins away from Manado. Most sites are walls & slopes, with only a couple of murk sites (which were excellent!). :D
There is only 1 dive shop Equatorial Diving in Gorontalo, northern Sulawesi & diving is only available for a few short months Nov - Apr. OK, need to add this, the quality of the dives was very high, the prices were relatively low. We stayed at Hotel Oasis, which the dive-shop is based at, it is a basic but comfortable hotel.
We spent a few days diving Manado too, with Minahasa Divers, staying at Sedona Manado Resort. Sedona resort is very nice, esp the huge pool, breakfast & free wifi... The muck dives at Manado were quite good - so we had a good mix of wall diving at Bunaken & muck at Manado. It rained quite heavily for abt an hour or so at abt 2pm almost everyday, when we were there but diving uninterrupted. :blinking: Also spend a day (3 dives) at Lembeh & we are going to go back to Lembeh!
Btw, do bring yr insect repellent, the mosquitoes were plentiful at both places, esp during the rainy season...
Would like to thank Wisnu for recommending Ritzy Hotel, which we spent a night at, before going to Gorontalo & also for recommending Sedona, really good!
This Nov, we are planning for Lembeh & Buyat Bay...
PS. Am leaving for Maldives on 31 Mar, will be out for 1+wk. :crafty:

Last edited:
Super thanks for the report, very interesting to read.
I have been planning to go to Gorontalo for a while, and now thanks to you, I definitively need to plan it for for next year! If only it was easier to get to... :wink:

I have been to Bunaken twice, and really like it. How do the dives compare with the ones you've done in Gorontalo.

Thanks again and keep diving!

Hi! Malene
Glad u enjoyed reading. Gorontalo is only a short 40mins flight from Manado now, really worth a visit! imho, Gorontalo is a lot prettier than Bunaken & littering is not as much of a problem & 1 of the best thing is, no constant sound of motor boats when diving, really quiet... But as I have mentioned (or not) the dive-shop has only 1 smallish boat, so some surface intervals might feel a little crowded onboard & the sea is the public toilet... :p Miguel's Diving has just started a Facebook page Miguel's Diving Gorontalo | Facebook there had been whaleshark sightings (which made me quite jealous!) haha...

Hi! Wisnu, have not heard anything abt hammerhead sharks there... We didn't get any "superman" (strong current drift) dives there, the local dive guide Yunis is quite good at "reading" currents. I'm sure they can help u, if u go during the more off-peak season (avoid public holidays). :D

Enjoyed your report :) Going to dive Gorontalo over New Year's. Can't wait. Rantje is very helpful and hands-on helping us to solve our internal flight ticketing problem.

Enjoyed your report :) Going to dive Gorontalo over New Year's. Can't wait. Rantje is very helpful and hands-on helping us to solve our internal flight ticketing problem.

Rantje is great n he is very enthusiastic to share the beautiful u/w world of Gorontalo. Hope u have a wonderful trip! Bring ear plugs if u are not planning to have night/s of fire-works & early mornings prayers. :wink:

Glad to be of service...
Bring mozzies repellent too...
& maybe to avoid wearing very short shorts in the streets (eg going out for dinner), in case locals might take offence...

Back
Top Bottom