2007 Hurricane season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
BBC News services

Warning of bad hurricane season

Hurricane Katrina killed about 1,500 people in 2005
Experts are again predicting a busy Atlantic hurricane season, with up to 17 named tropical storms forming - nine of which could become hurricanes.
At least one major storm is expected to make landfall in the US during the 1 June-30 November season, Colorado State University forecasters said.

Last year, leading forecasters wrongly predicted a bad hurricane season.

However the record-breaking 2005 season saw 15 hurricanes, including Katrina which devastated New Orleans.

Another forecaster, London-based Tropical Storm Risk, has likewise predicted 17 tropical storms, nine of them hurricanes, for the 2007 season.

'Very active season'

"We have increased our forecast for the 2007 hurricane season, largely due to the rapid dissipation of El Nino conditions," Colorado experts Philip Klotzbach and William Gray said in a statement.

"We are now calling for a very active hurricane season. Landfall probabilities for the 2007 hurricane season are well above their long-period averages," they said.

The researchers said the upsurge in storm activity could be anticipated because of an end of warm-water El Nino activity in the Pacific, which resulted in milder weather on the US Atlantic coast last year and a downturn in hurricane activity.

"Tropical and North Atlantic sea surface temperatures remain well above their long-period averages," they said.

The 2005 season broke records with a total of with 28 storms and 15 hurricanes. Hurricane Stan, which hit Guatemala, killed at least 2,000 people.

Too early to start worrying about hurricanes

True, but it's good to keep a heads up from now..

Let's hope that this year is as relatively quiet as last year was..

Actually, its a good time for people to create their initial plans and if they have family, create the family disaster preparedness plans. Those especially at risk are the disabled and elderly and their care takers since they are the least likely to evacuate as their transportation and facilities which can care for them are few and far between.

Prep prep prep and make the plan before it happens. Of course, not everything thats planned for happens the way the plan is supposed to work... but hey, thats the art of life :D

The good news is they are always wrong! Im going to start forecasting atlantic storms from Hawaii. If then can do it from Colorado??? Snowfall forecasts for the rockies are now coming from Atlanta. Siberia will now be forecast from Iraq.....
I want a job where no matter how wrong I am, people still listen to every word I say.

I just had to laugh when I saw this info on the news tonight. Thought the same thing as Wildcard, CSU??? If they spent less time working on hurricaines and more time forecasting snow maybe they could have predicted the blizzards here this year.

Wildcard:
The good news is they are always wrong! Im going to start forecasting atlantic storms from Hawaii. If then can do it from Colorado??? Snowfall forecasts for the rockies are now coming from Atlanta. Siberia will now be forecast from Iraq.....
I want a job where no matter how wrong I am, people still listen to every word I say.
Wound that be the IPCC, the UN or Speaker of the House.....:rofl3: :rofl3:

Wildcard:

And...you keep getting paid! You could get a raise for every 25th time that you are completely wrong, but still able to cause panic.:rofl3:

Let's hope that it's a peaceful hurricane season...

First... for those that live in hurricane affected areas. I would hate to have to worry about my home for 5-6 months a year.

Second... I have a FL vacatio planned Mid-August... I really don't want to learn about hurricanes first-hand... and I really want to get some great dives in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom