2006 Olympics thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the curling too. Do they actually have mens curling as well? In Japan they've only been showing the ladies but it might be because Japan has a reasonable ladies team.
The skiing has been quite fun as well with very few favorites doing that well; like the Herminator and Bode what's his name getting their butts kicked :D

Hey... Curling looks like fun.

What other olympic event can you throw/slide rocks down ice and sit and drink beer in between. I got a feeling that the more beer you drink, the better the game gets.

lowwall:
Shuffleboard on ice makes it? You might as well add horseshoes to the summer games. I may have to rethink the whole thing, maybe add a minimum VO2max requirement.
Heh. So you would add "breaking a sweat" to the requirements list? I'm not ready to go there, yet.

As with baseball, curling is a sport that requires more from the participants than simple physical prowess. Both are games that require intellectual capacity, the ability to think strategically and tactically, in addition to highly developed technical skills and finesse.

Neither will leave the participants dripping in sweat but if we're only going to count those sports that require speed or endurance and don't require any smarts, we're going to be left with nothing but football and power lifting. :D

Besides, curling requires more physical effort and skill than you might realize. Yeah, the ice is slippery but that's part of why it's so difficult: the ice is specially made to be more slippery than usual and most people have a hard time walking on it without falling down, let alone shoving a 42 pound hunk of granite from one end to the other. If you've never tried curling, you have no idea just how hard - or fun - it can be. As someone who lives in Chicago, you've got a great opportunity to try curling for yourself at the Chicago Curling Club. Stop in and watch - it's civilized, comfortable and coed - and then sign up to give it a try.

In the meantime, the US Women's team bit the dust but the guys have reached the medal round and are playing the hosers for the second time later today.

Speaking of head cases, how about Bogey Miller and Apolo Uhoh? In the annals of prima donna media hounds, these two flame-outs are going to get their own chapters.

mike_s:
Hey... Curling looks like fun.

What other olympic event can you throw/slide rocks down ice and sit and drink beer in between. I got a feeling that the more beer you drink, the better the game gets.
Curling is a great sport. It's a competitive as you want to make it. And yes, if you're more about just having fun, you can drink yourself silly. We have a local tournament every year and the prizes are doled out in 40oz, 26oz and 13oz bottles. :D

It would be really great if coverage here in the US was more balanced. There are plenty of sports where the US is not in medal contention or competing at the time, but still are of interest. Yet do they show the events? No! If the US isn't in there, then they fill in the time with personal profiles of the US Olympic Ice-Aardvark-dancing team rather than show what the rest of the world is doing. :soapbox:

Yeesh!

Well, let me put it as $uccinctly a$ po$$ible....

You $ee, NBC di$hed out a lot of money to televi$e the$e game$, $o they've geared the va$t majority of their coverage toward the American audience. If you've noticed, they're already taking a beating from American Idol in the rating$, which mean$ they're lo$ing quite a bit of their inve$tment. In order to keep American intere$t in the game$, they are $howing anything and everything that ha$ to do with the U.$. team. $ince there i$ not that much exciting about a curling match between Mongolia and Paraguay, don't expect to $ee that on regular broadca$t$.

SubMariner:
It would be really great if coverage here in the US was more balanced. There are plenty of sports where the US is not in medal contention or competing at the time, but still are of interest. Yet do they show the events? No! If the US isn't in there, then they fill in the time with personal profiles of the US Olympic Ice-Aardvark-dancing team rather than show what the rest of the world is doing. :soapbox:

Yeesh!
You should of seen the Canadian coverage. After a hockey game they would spend 45min- 1 hr dissecting the game while other sports were going on.

SubMariner:
US Olympic Ice-Aardvark-dancing team
LOL, now that's actually an ice skating event I'd like to see. I have a soft spot for aardvarks.

lowwall:
I don't think anything should qualify as an Olympic sport if the winner can't be determined with a tape measure or stopwatch.
I can think of a great Olympic tape measuring event....errr, never mind.

Back
Top Bottom