200' to 250' Deep Dive at Sund Rock - Anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'll be doing this dive the first week of Feb. Anyone know what's down at those depths? I've been told there is actually some sort of reef, and I was just wondering what in the world is on it.

Rick Inman:
I'll be doing this dive the first week of Feb. Anyone know what's down at those depths? I've been told there is actually some sort of reef, and I was just wondering what in the world is on it.

Hi Rick,

I haven't been deeper than 200' at Sund Rock, but there really isn't that much to see below about 150'. There are a few deep walls around, but I don't know of any that deep. Coming up from depth there should be plenty to see while you're doing your deco stops as there are several walls (North Wall, South Wall, Fishpen wall) up in the recreational depths.

Is this a training dive with someone familiar with the area? I ask because on one of my trimix training dives at Sund Rock we ran out of slope and the bottom flattened out just South of fish pen wall at about 165'. There's deeper water South of the flat section, but you have stay slightly South as head downslope from the North End of the South wall.

I have no firsthand knowledge, but when I was there over 4th of July, I met a local tech diver who was doing a solo 200' dive there. He told me he did them regularly, looking for 6 gills, so I guess there's something to look for/ at at those depths!

Nailer99:
I have no firsthand knowledge, but when I was there over 4th of July, I met a local tech diver who was doing a solo 200' dive there. He told me he did them regularly, looking for 6 gills, so I guess there's something to look for/ at at those depths!
LOL - reminds me of when David Kertzman and I dived to the bottom of Tyler Rocks in Barkley Sound (about 125 fsw) looking for six-gills. We didn't see any ... but all the folks who were diving up in the 45-60 foot range did ... :shakehead

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

boydski:
Hi Rick,

I haven't been deeper than 200' at Sund Rock, but there really isn't that much to see below about 150'. There are a few deep walls around, but I don't know of any that deep. Coming up from depth there should be plenty to see while you're doing your deco stops as there are several walls (North Wall, South Wall, Fishpen wall) up in the recreational depths.

Is this a training dive with someone familiar with the area? I ask because on one of my trimix training dives at Sund Rock we ran out of slope and the bottom flattened out just South of fish pen wall at about 165'. There's deeper water South of the flat section, but you have stay slightly South as head downslope from the North End of the South wall.
Five of us are headed there for 5 days. My friend/instructor is certifying my three local buddies in Advanced nitrox/Advanced Rec Trimix, and I'm diving/schlepping/demonstrating. I've already done my full Trimix class, but my friend/instructor wants to make one additional dive with me to 250' before he moves out of the state (actually, I'd bet you anything that this dive is just an excuse to present me with my Trimix card at depth. He loves doing that).

Neither of use has dived at Sund Rock below 130', but I'm told that if you head east from the ramp by the north wall, there are several walls and then below 200' a bottle field.

Guess we'll find out.

Rick Inman:
Five of us are headed there for 5 days. My friend/instructor is certifying my three local buddies in Advanced nitrox/Advanced Rec Trimix, and I'm diving/schlepping/demonstrating.

Wow Rick, You really are the MAN in Spokane. Fun Dives!

Rick Inman:
Five of us are headed there for 5 days. My friend/instructor is certifying my three local buddies in Advanced nitrox/Advanced Rec Trimix, and I'm diving/schlepping/demonstrating. I've already done my full Trimix class, but my friend/instructor wants to make one additional dive with me to 250' before he moves out of the state (actually, I'd bet you anything that this dive is just an excuse to present me with my Trimix card at depth. He loves doing that).

Neither of use has dived at Sund Rock below 130', but I'm told that if you head east from the ramp by the north wall, there are several walls and then below 200' a bottle field.

Guess we'll find out.

Straight out from the North Wall/ramp it is steep enough but less steep to 200fsw than straight out from the South Wall as Scott mentioned. What's below 200 fsw I can't say.

I've been down to around 220-230 fsw off Sund Rock, but around the 'point' by the farther entrance, not the one where you drive down nearly to the water. Good points: the terrain slopes up so your deco on the ascent is pretty zen - you can focus on lots of little things on the hangs. Bad points: not saying there isn't a bottle field or whatever down there, but all we saw were crabs and sand. It keeps on going down, perhaps you needed to go deeper than 230' to find the bottles or whatever. But mostly, in my experience anyway, thats the trimix quest in Hood Canal: dive deep, suck helium, see sand. But hey, you're Traaaaaaaaaiiiiiining! :D

Rick, actually my buddy and I DID see a pretty huge sixgill in Hood Canal while diving off Don and Diane Colemans boat. It was over 6' long, huge girth, we picked it up around 130' or so and followed it as it meandered along down to around 150' or so, my buddy was filming it the entire time and at times it doubled back and went beneath him, he couldn't have cleared its back by less than 10". The thing was huge. We have the video, gave a copy to Don. It was at a site called "flagpole", guess it was October 2005 or so. Here is Don's contact:
www.pacadventure.com

If anyone could put you on an interesting site below 200' I'm thinking Don could...

Doc

Thanks for the help, guys
do it easy:
Wow Rick, You really are the MAN in Spokane. Fun Dives!
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. :wink:
Doc Intrepid:
If anyone could put you on an interesting site below 200' I'm thinking Don could...

Doc
Actually, we're doing the other guy's graduation dives off PA on Tuedsay. 150'. The 250' has to be a shore dive.

Doc Intrepid:
Rick, actually my buddy and I DID see a pretty huge sixgill in Hood Canal while diving off Don and Diane Colemans boat. It was over 6' long, huge girth, we picked it up around 130' or so and followed it as it meandered along down to around 150' or so, my buddy was filming it the entire time and at times it doubled back and went beneath him, he couldn't have cleared its back by less than 10". The thing was huge. We have the video, gave a copy to Don. It was at a site called "flagpole", guess it was October 2005 or so. Here is Don's contact:
www.pacadventure.com

Doc

Be sure to ask Don about the deep pinnacle he recently took us to. We have named it "Don's Folly", because it looked soooo good on Sonar, but we found nothing but mud and rocks from 180 - 210'. :wink: But, you don't know if you don't go! Sponge Hill was better.

Flagpole point is a good site for a 200'+ dive. There is a deep wall just to the Northeast of the "knuckle" that starts at about 140' and drops vertically to well below 200'. It's my favorite deep dive in the canal, but does require a bit of navigation to locate. There have been several sixgills spotted below the knuckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom