2" Webbing Technical Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know what the webbing is supposed to be made from and what it's tensile strength should be? I see no reason to buy this stuff from a dive shop that is probably marking the price up 300% or more since it is labeled as "dive gear".

There's a ton of 2" webbing on Ebay that costs next to nothing. I'm curious if it's the same stuff that is resold as dive gear.

Probably your best choice alternative is seat-belt webbing. It's mass produced to very high standards. At 6000lbs breakage it will cut you in two before giving way... :D
Example
http://www.tnwebbing.com/seatbelt.htm

Ummmm, I prefer my 2" webbing to be far more stiff than seatbelt webbing. It's fine for the crotch strap but simply flops around too much otherwise for my tastes. There are some retailers of good 2" webbing out there.

Ask in the Hogarthian forum under Tech diving. They can help there.

Interesting... would seat belt be considered acceptable in a DIR configuration, if only for crotch strap purposes? My strap is a little stiff... it's wearing lines into my wetsuit!

Seatbelt webbing makes terrible harness material. The stiff stuff is stiff because its supposed to be. There's resin in it.

You got stiff webbing? Want it softer. Here's the deal:

DIVE IT MORE

It will soften up. It will never be baby's butt soft, and it will always bug you if you dive shirtless, Tarzan.

Seatbelt webbing is nice for a crotch strap. But its expensive. There is no appreciable load on the crotch strap - why pay for premium webbing? I got a back pack strap for like $2.00. Sewed it myself, had the hardware. Instant two buck crotch strap.

Go to www.reefscuba.com - it will set you back maybe $17 - $20 for the webbing. It will last you 20 years. Its not like you're investing in steel tanks or a dry suit - its webbing. $20 and you're done.

I love eBay - but c'mon. What will you be saving? Honestly?

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Seatbelt webbing makes terrible harness material. The stiff stuff is stiff because its supposed to be. There's resin in it.

You got stiff webbing? Want it softer. Here's the deal:

DIVE IT MORE

It will soften up. It will never be baby's butt soft, and it will always bug you if you dive shirtless, Tarzan.

Seatbelt webbing is nice for a crotch strap. But its expensive. There is no appreciable load on the crotch strap - why pay for premium webbing? I got a back pack strap for like $2.00. Sewed it myself, had the hardware. Instant two buck crotch strap.

Go to www.reefscuba.com - it will set you back maybe $17 - $20 for the webbing. It will last you 20 years. Its not like you're investing in steel tanks or a dry suit - its webbing. $20 and you're done.

I love eBay - but c'mon. What will you be saving? Honestly?

---
Ken
the webbing at reef scuba is a good deal.. they are selling it near bulk quantity prices..they are only making pennies per foot..

While I would not even be slightly interested in using it for the rest of the harness, it seems pretty innocuous to use seat belt webbing as a crotch strap, for the humor value, if nothing else. I have to think you could pick up a used seat belt at any junk yard for next to nothing.... I'm guessing a couple bucks? Cheaper than the standard webbing, even.

So my question remains: Is it DIR-approved (as a crotch strap), or not?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom