2 recent deaths where snorkelers happened to be using full face masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. Guess I'll just keep using the regular dive mask. Looked like a good idea...

No all. Some of the YouTube images also show fogging. I use one in the shop with a powered respirator to protect from fine dust. It does fog until I hook up the hose from the back-mounted filter and fan. Mine is comfortable on me, as FFMs go. Picked it up for $30.

Very dependent on the fit.
By "design" it will help reduce fogging. But really depends and most of the time it will fog up in my experience. I am happy with a model "Seabeast AF90" I found in youtube last month. And I got one after watching several reviews of it, took it to my cruise, and it really didn't fog. I don't know how it achieve this, but it really worked as the reviews. Their website say that they apply anti-fog coating to the lense. I am going to buy two more for my families in coming travel any way.

So you’ve never seen one nor have you done ANY research yourself about them but you sanctimoniously lecture to us about lack of evidence.

A cursory search on the net reveals much about this:

“The problem, in my humble opinion, is with knockoffs. Companies that copied the basic look without including all of the safety features. Carbon dioxide build-up has been cited as a concern with full face mask. Since the air you exhale has a larger percentage of carbon dioxide than the air we normally breathe in, it should not be inhaled again. The full face mask volume does not allow the full exchange of gases within the mask. The design of some masks is such that the air exhaled is removed from the mask directly. Therefore it is not inhaled again. Most of the knock-off designs do not have these features.

To properly work as a mask, there must be a waterproof seal. Generally with a dive or snorkeling mask, if water leaks in, we will just need to clear it, The worst that happens is that the water stings our eyes. In this usage, a leak into the mask risk water getting into your airway. Therefore the seal is very critical. You really need a good quality of material to get a seal that will consistently work. The cheap mask will not be able to use the more expensive materials and keep such a low price.”

I’ve used a Seaview extensively. Never had a problem yet.
I used a seabeast AF90, never has problem either. What's more, it never fog up even I didn't spit on it!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom