2 Old 3AL's Hit the Scrap Yard Today - Tanks for the Memories!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, our LDS charges $28 for hydro / Visual / Eddy & Air Fill. As for the cylinder being made of 6351, Luxfer has informed me that as long as the cylinder passes vis and is eddy tested to keep it in service.

My LDS was talking about $106 each to get them current with a visual, hydro, eddy current etc. Once that was done, there was no guarantee that another shop would have touched them.

I hope for that price it would come with a couple of tubes of Christ-o-lube cause that cause your getting screwed big time.

Wow, our LDS charges $28 for hydro / Visual / Eddy & Air Fill. As for the cylinder being made of 6351, Luxfer has informed me that as long as the cylinder passes vis and is eddy tested to keep it in service.

That's fine with me as long as Luxfer (and not me) is filling them.

That's fine with me as long as Luxfer (and not me) is filling them.

I fully understand and respect your concern with filling 6351 alloy cylinders. I am a bit paranoid by nature myself. That is why I took the training provided by Professional Scuba Inspectors. I wanted to know for myself that my high pressure cylinders were safe.

However to keep things in perspective over 5.9 million cylinders have been made from 6351 alloy. Only 8 scuba cylinders have ruptured from Sustained Load Cracks (SLC). All the ruptures were during filling, all were leaking and all had a long crack which could have been noticed by a trained cylinder inspection and taken out of service prior to the explosion.

Your odds of becoming a lightning victim in the U.S. in any one year is 1 in 700,000. Your odds of being struck in your lifetime is 1 in 3,000.

Have your cylinders inspected by trained inspectors and don’t forget to duck!

My concern was not with filling them or using them. I know the odds of an SLC is low and an explosion as a result of an SLC even lower. Unfortunately, right or wrong, there seems to be a direct correlation between odds of explosion and my odds of getting them filled now and in the future.
Perhaps they will reincarnate as something usefully like beer cans in their next life.

Its to bad your shop didnt offer you anything for them. I work for a shop in Buffalo and we stopped testing the tanks and or filling them. We offer everyone that wants to turn them in a 50 dollar credit towards a new tank. We then drain em, ruin the threads and take them to the scrap yard. So far about 35 people have turned in an old tank.

Its to bad your shop didnt offer you anything for them. I work for a shop in Buffalo and we stopped testing the tanks and or filling them. We offer everyone that wants to turn them in a 50 dollar credit towards a new tank. We then drain em, ruin the threads and take them to the scrap yard. So far about 35 people have turned in an old tank.

Outstanding. What does your shop sell a new aluminum 80 for?

$50 is about what those bring on eBay. If the trade-in tank needed hydro and visual, there's another $30 that could go toward a new one.

That $50 trade-in would be great in Florida. Due to sales volume, tanks sell in the $130-150 range, and the old ones are losing favor with compressor owners.

Back
Top Bottom