2 more UK diver deaths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad news.
“There has been on average one death a year for the past 25 years at the former quarry since it opened to divers.”
Is there a specific reason there, or is that a low average considering the number of dives?

Given the number of people that use the place thats a very very impressive safety statistic. Its the most popular inland dive centre in the country and can get hundreds of people every single day there.

Of course, "hundreds of people dived and didnt die" doesnt make news headlines.

String, can you give people who aren't in your part of the world some idea of the size of this quarry? Depth, acreage, water temps, hazards?

Firstly i admit ive never dived it (i have a nearer one).

Maximum depth is approximately 32m (about 106ft). Water temperatures at the moment are probably in the region of 10-12c (50-53f) visibility is advertised as roughly 4-5m the last report i read off someone at the moment.

It has sunken attractions such as a bus and helicopter, the usual training platforms but no particular hazards that im aware of. Its website is here: http://www.stoneycove.com/

Maybe someone else reading this who has dived it can fill in a bit more.

Yeah Stoney Cove is popular and is very busy 'tis a shame for the families and divers alike!

Back
Top Bottom