2 Middle aged adults looking to do Open Water Certification in BKK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you'd think he'd at least come back to see if he received any advice. He hasn't even logged on since the day he joined.

Oh well, as IDTS sort of alluded to in one of his posts today, an insight may not reach the OP but still help others who stumble upon the thread doing a search of some sort! Welcome back, IDTS. Looking forward to your continued contributions.

Pattaya diving is awful. And the quality of instruction that I was witness to was equally as bad. This could be true anywhere but my gut feeling is that it is more prevalent in the Pattaya area.

Everything you do in Phuket is more expensive in comparison to anywhere else in Thailand, lodging, transportation, food etc. Although your timing is in the off season, so Phuket would be an option as well, also the diving is among the best.

Kho Lanta is far and away my favorite choice, fly in to Krabi, it's just an hour flight.

There's no diving in the immediate Bangkok area.

Totally agree on all points.

If you don't want to go far from Bangkok, Koh Chang is your best bet. The diving is not amazing, but pretty good for the Gulf. I would recommend White Sand Dive Centre in WhiteSands or BB Divers in Bang Bao. I would agree with the others about Pattaya - the diving isn't as bad as people say, but I wouldn't take your wife there unless you are both into other types of 'diving'. If you are willing to go further afield, head down to the Andaman for sure, but it will only just be heading out of low season (but so will Koh Chang).

Happy diving!

Back
Top Bottom