2 divers missing off Bonaire 7/18? or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was on Bonaire a few weeks ago and there was a rumour going around (at Sand Dollar at least maybe elsewhere too) of two divers missing at the Karpata divesite. I think it was 7/18 or 7/19. The theory is that the current changed while they were on their dive and took them either out to sea or prevented them from returning to their exit (at least with air).

Has anyone heard anything about it?

I was blowing it off as a rumour but some folks were pretty adamant about it. I dove that site twice the day they supposedly went missing and saw neither adverse current or search activity.

Just a recollection, but didn't two divers go missing in that area about a year ago or so that were never found? Hopefully it's just a case of an old story being retold.

Dennis

There was a couple of divers got killed there several years ago. I have not heard of anyone lately and it's very unusual that that type of info is kept quiet. I doubt it.

Flightlead:
I was on Bonaire a few weeks ago and there was a rumour going around (at Sand Dollar at least maybe elsewhere too) of two divers missing at the Karpata divesite. I think it was 7/18 or 7/19. The theory is that the current changed while they were on their dive and took them either out to sea or prevented them from returning to their exit (at least with air).

Has anyone heard anything about it?

I was blowing it off as a rumour but some folks were pretty adamant about it. I dove that site twice the day they supposedly went missing and saw neither adverse current or search activity.

I've dived Karpata many times and never have encountered a current as you describe. There's nothing on www.bonairetalk.com about it so I imagine it's just as you suspected, a very bad rumor. :palmtree: Bob

Quite a few years ago a few divers were lost at Karpata, but I have heard nothing.

Liz

A father and a son went missing in January 2004. They were reported missing when they did not return to their resort. A couple of years later, some human remains were found, I believe by Walter of Rek Tek scuba. I may be mistaken. The remains were taken back for DNA analysis. That's the last I heard of it. I have not read of any new incidents in Bonaire though.

Izzy,

This is correct. My understanding is that Walt did find them, at I think, or recall at around 300-350 ft or so. I understand that it was confirmed by DNA that it was the father/son duo.

Liz

The divers in question are probably the father and son team that were staying at the Lions Dive and diving with Bon Bini. They left two children at the hotel and went off to dive.

Their rental truck was found at Karpata when the kids finally complained to the hotel staff later that night.

Reportedly they were diving deep on air.

Not.

I'm in Bonaire right now and asked around. It sounds like it's the old report from a few years ago that you're inadvertently recirculating.

- Ken

Back
Top Bottom