2 days to dive before a business conference...Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nrhill11

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am travelling to Manila in November for a business conference. I want to get there a couple of days early to do some diving before the conference starts. I know nothing about the diving here, so I need some help. Who should I dive with and where should I stay? Here are some things to keep in mind.

1. I am travelling alone.
2. I need to save as much money as possible. My wife can't come with me, and I have permission to dive without her. It will be hard to keep her happy if I spend a lot of money on this trip. Luxury is not important.

Can anyone help?

Three choices:
Anilao
Puerto Galera
Subic Bay
Anilao is the most expensive especially you are more than likely require private transfer! Diving is mainly macro.
Puerto Galera, an all rounder but does require a ferry crossing. Public transport is easy and exceedingly cheap. Alternatively is to take either the Si-Kat or Swagman daily transfer(08:00) all the way to Sabang for about P800.00 each way. Si Kat departs from City State Tower Hotel while the other is from Swagman Hotel, both hotels are in Ermita area(stone throw from USA Embassy).
Subic Bay which is mainly for wreck diving. Again the public transport is cheap and damn easy to catch. Johan has AC room for P1,000.00 and diving is P1,000.00 per dive.

My preference: PG and if the weather is lousy then Subic Bay.

Three choices:
Anilao
Puerto Galera
Subic Bay
Anilao is the most expensive especially you are more than likely require private transfer! Diving is mainly macro.
Puerto Galera, an all rounder but does require a ferry crossing. Public transport is easy and exceedingly cheap. Alternatively is to take either the Si-Kat or Swagman daily transfer(08:00) all the way to Sabang for about P800.00 each way. Si Kat departs from City State Tower Hotel while the other is from Swagman Hotel, both hotels are in Ermita area(stone throw from USA Embassy).
Subic Bay which is mainly for wreck diving. Again the public transport is cheap and damn easy to catch. Johan has AC room for P1,000.00 and diving is P1,000.00 per dive.

My preference: PG and if the weather is lousy then Subic Bay.

If diving in PG, do you have any recommendations for lodging and dive operator? Thanks for all the advice so far!

Anilao! great macro diving and some great reefs too. With Anilao you don't have a boat crossing, yes transfer from Manila isn't cheap. And since your a single person Anilao diving rates can
get expensive and confusing with separate charges for guides, boats, etc, but Buceao Anilao offers all inclusive dive rates and it's a nice resort and on the affordable end of the Anilao resort spectrum.

Another vote for Sky and Paul at South Sea Divers - excellent people to dive with who will help you out with transport arrangements - try to see if you can dive with Amil, he has great eyes.

A word or two about transfers, if you choose Sabang/PG. All the public transfers across the channel will drop you at the Sabang public dock (or at the public dock in PG if you choose that one, and which then requires a half hour jeepney or trike ride up to Sabang). The vast majority of dive shops and resorts are laid out along the beach to the West, and you will have to walk over to them, which can be quite a long stroll. If you are traveling really light, this is not much of a problem, but if you are dragging bags this can get old real fast, as the walkways are primitive and not luggage friendly in many places. I have often seen tourists struggling with luggage along that beach trying to get to their resorts, and a lot of the better ones are wayyy down on the West end. Now if you chose private transfer, sure it costs more, but they deliver you right to the door of your resort unless specified otherwise, and it is a lot faster. Just something to consider. It still takes a half day to get from Manila to Sabang and the same on the return trip. That looks kind of tight for you.

Thanks everyone! I am going to do a bit more research into the suggestions that you all gave me, but this is much more manageable now that I have some suggestions. If anyone else has more suggestions, please keep them coming. I will make sure to give a report when I get back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom