2/17/07 Lake Keowee dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Woke up at about 0700 this morning.... it was cold in my room... finally mustered up the courage to roll out of bed at about 0745. Weather forecast in Salem, SC was 38* at dive time, so I threw on some warm clothes. Had some coffee, some instant oatmeal and threw my gear in the truck and went to meet Martin (flightlead).

We pulled into the boat launch at about 1019 and unloaded the gear, said hello to everyone. There was a group of about 10 or so present. Bill from Off the Wall soon arrived with the boat. After loading up the tanks, gear, divers and making sure everyone had everything they needed, we headed out towards the Hot Hole. The wind was gusting at about 15 knots and with the air temp at 38*, everyone was a bit chilled. Bill did an excellent job on the dive breif. After giving us a detailed description (including a drawing) of the underwater geography, he explained to us the current coming from the power plant discharge, and how to work with it effectively. Believe it or not, this is a drift dive, where the current goes in a big circle. He also donned his drysuit and joined us in the water to give a demonstration on how to ride the "water slide".

Dive #1 was 36 minutes, with a max depth of 40ft. We all used our air a little quicker getting our buoyancy adjusted and getting accustomed to the current. We hammed it up a bit for Bill to take some group pictures. First dive I've ever seen freshwater sponges. Very cool, they look just like nerf balls. As for the "water slide"... WOW. Is it ever a helluva lot of fun. You swim directly out in front of where the water is discharged and the current just shoots you out like a bullet. Then you just sit tight and ride it all the way out, eventually it becomes gentler, but you can pretty much ride it into the eddy current in a big circle all the way back to the discharge again. Saves you a lot of effort. We surfaced just long enough to switch out our tanks and jump back in the water, as the air temp was considerably colder than the water temp (52*)

Dive #2, me and Martin got away from the pack and found our way to the eddy current heading towards the discharge. There was quite a bit of fish life towards the bank in the rocks, including a couple rather large crappy. We had a good time checking out the grassy areas as well as the fish life in the rocks, and of course we rode the water slide a couple more times. Bottom time on this dive was 52 minutes. Water temp: 52*, viz about 20-25ft.

I had a lot of fun on this one, the weather topside was bitterly cold, but the dives were great. Bill and (Rick, the other gentleman I believe) were both great and gave us all a good time. After hearing them talk about the viz in Lake Jocassee, i think a trip back up to dive Jocassee is definetly in order in the near future.

Just go back home from meeting several wonderful Scuba Board divers out at the hot hole in Lake Keowee! We had 13 people on the boat and 11 of those diving in the water. I ended up having to sit out the dive since I got a sinus infection a few days ago. I so wanted to be in the water playing with my new gear and new Scuba Board friends, but it was my day to thumb the dive before I got in the water. So I played boat hostess. Hopefully I did a good enough job of that so that the divers will come dive again with me when I am in better health!

It was no contest in the SC/NC/GA battle of the bubbles. 9 folks from GA, 3 from SC and 1 from NC. Perhaps we will get a rematch in the future.

The air was cold and never got as warm as it was supposed to for the day. And, we saw snowflakes as we were pulling off the lake. The wind did not let up all day. Had the wind stopped, it would have been more bearable up top. The temps in the 30’s and the howling wind did not stop Rick Lockridge from wearing his shorts and sandles all day as he captained the boat. He did break down and put on a light windbreaker after while.

The water was in the 50’s and 60’s depending on where you were in the current. I will let the others tell you about the dive as I was up top for the festivities,

It was nice to meet some wonderful people from here on the board. I really hope it works out for us to dive again another day. Everyone was super and really soldiered through with the weather. Really a great group of folks. The only thing that would have made the day better was if I could have joined them in the water. ----Well, warmer air temps would have been nice too!

Thanks again everyone for coming. I really enjoyed meeting you and hope to see you again. It was nice to share your company for an afternoon and I look forward to seeing you in the future! :wink:

Perhaps we can do the hot hole again when the weather is warmer and then head over to Jocassee another day to pay a visit to Bones Family near the divers ramp!

Leah

Thanks for great dive reports!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

leah:
Dawgdiver and Flightlead, so glad you had a safe trip home and thanks again for coming! :) :)

And thank you for organizing the trip! After hearing Bill talk about the viz in Jocassee, I think I'm definately game for coming back up when the water warms up a bit.

I had a great time as well although I froze my family jewels off topside..hehe. I would like to say Leah was as good a hostess as you could possibly ask for. Most all of my diving has been ocean so this was an experience. I will certainly be better prepared next time with my newfound knowledge. Thanks to everyone for their patience with my suit predicament and for those that helped out. I will be diving Jocassee this summer so I'll be seeing some of you again I'm sure.

By the way Leah, any chance we might see some of those pics Bill was taking of us?

Sounds like ya'll had a great day! I wish I could've joined you because it sounds like it was fun to have everyone getting together. Ya'll missed the warm weather we were having by about a week... but I sure hope we have a little warming trend because I am going to dive the Hot Hole some in the upcoming weeks. :huh:

I may very well have to tag along when ya'll dive it again next time. And Leah, don't worry, I'll be one more you have from SC... now we just have to find a few more to beat out those GA folks. :D

Caleb

enjoyed the trip,didnt thaw out until i was almost home,but thats wintertime diving in our region.Sorry you couldnt dive leah,but thanks for putting togather the trip,maybe when it warms up alittle we can do it again,really enjoyed seeing all the fish,saw bream,bass,catfish and 1 yellow perch,rarely see fish at lake lanier.

I talked to Bill after the dive and asked him to forward the pictures to me since a few folks wanted copies. I will let everyone know when I get them and forward them to anyone who wants copies. He said he got pictures of most folks underwater.

Glad everyone had a good time. Next time, I will be in the water for sure! I was really bummed out to have to stay on the boat. I was whipped just from staying on the boat and being up all day. I went to bed as soon as I got home. As soon as the air temps start to warm, I will talk to you guys about planning another dive. I really want to see those fresh water sponges!

Back
Top Bottom