1st stage hose attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Asand

Reaction score
Hello. I'm fairly new to scuba and am trying accumulate my gear. Since I am a student, I don't have what one might call a high income at the moment, so I am buying my gear piece by piece. My question is, when attaching your hoses, etc., to your first stage, what all is involved (grease, tighten to a specific torque, etc.)? Thanks in advance for any help.

A little "grease" on o-ring 1/4 oz of silicon grease should cost you a couple bucks in LDS. Also good for lights & cameras. However it is not good for nitrox. An O2 compatible lube will run $10.00 or a bit more for same 1/4 oz and is the best way to go.

the O-ring does the sealing job so you need just enough torque to keep it from coming lose. SP spec is 80 in lb. Expedient is finger tight and then a little more with a wrench. Make sure you can not loosen by hand.

...but it's the o-ring that provides the seal, not the tightness - as awap said, finger tight plus a nudge with a wrench is all it needs. Most regulator first stage bodies are brass, which is a VERY easy metal to strip threads in or deform.

Back
Top Bottom