1st cannister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nessmiller

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am contemplating my first purchase of a cannister light and want to get educated on what I should be considering. Dive Rite is offering a holiday special on their wreck light with a 4-hour 4.6 Amp lead-acid battery and a HID head that I think would meet my needs well. Any opinions on this setup? Thanks for your help.

These are an expensive piece of kit - why not spend a little extra and make it your first AND last canister light? DJS Technical make the Stealth light canister, which is a NiMH canister, and Dan can supply the Halcyon 10W or 18W HID lighthead, or the 10W Dive Rite lighthead. They're cheaper than the Halcyon Helios, and I can't find fault with mine, which I consider to be my best diving purchase after my backplate and wings.

There's a few reviews of them floating around the board.

I'm using the Abysmal 10 watt HID light. This canister is as small as a paper towel tube and you don't even know it attached to your self its that small. 4 hour burn time. Nice $500 US.

Analyst

I've got to agree with Scubaroo on this one. I'm in the process of doing research for the same purchase that you are, and I've come to the conclusion that the StealthDive NiMH setup with the 10W HID Halcyon head (w/Goodman Handle) is the best bang for your buck. Here's a link to the website:
StealthDive

A big part of why I'm leaning in that direction is that I keep reading over and over that Dan, the owner, is a real stand-up guy that puts a lot of work into his product. Whatever you do buy, please post a review of the equipment after you've had a chance to dive with it.

Good Luck,

Rick

I was like the beacon on the night dive. Everyone could tell where I was because that thing is BRIGHT! I attracted a lot of little fish, some nibbling on my fingers. I was a little concerned that a larger fish might swoop in and go for the little ones, but no problems. The shark appeared out of the deep -- with everyone flashing their lights on it -- and then the HID light caught him as he swam right towards me, only to pass beneath me and into the dark.

It is rather heavy above-water (I think around 5 pounds), and I packed it wrapped in clothes. The charger worked well, even on tiny Saba which isn't known for "clean current." Its only about 1/2 pound negative when in water. I just attached it to my tank band and took out the weights in my pocket on that side.

I use a Gates housing with a PC 110.

Margaret

Definitely check it out. Its tiny and I absolutely love the light. I have the new 10W HID halcyon head. Dan is a great guy.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom