1st BCD purchase - advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingleton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm been diving for a number of years, however since I usually only dive while traveling on vacation, I never invested in my own BCD and Regulator due to the cost and I was only diving a handful of times a year.

However, I'm starting to do more often now, still primarily only while traveling. I don't have interest in diving in local lakes and quarries with less than 10ft viz.

I was considering purchase a BCD and thought I would just buy a Travel BCD like the new Cressi Air Travel, since it was light weight. However, I started wondering whether I wanted to have this as my one and only primary BCD since it doesn't have as much features, conveniences, pockets, etc. than a traditional one.

My question, is it normal to have a travel BCD as your primary BCD, even you want to dive locally occasionally. Or if I'm only going to have 1 BCD, should it be a traditional one - then i'm worried about size and weight and packing..

Bonus answers for recommended manufactures and models to consider.

Thanks

Some people will buy a "travel" BC and use that everywhere they go even as their primary BC. I think as a concept the travel BC is great but keeping in my mind that a properly functioning BC that you are familiar with and comfortable with using is a critical piece of gear.

I have always opted myself for owning a BC that I am comfortable in and then sucking up the extra cost when I travel and dive. Is they extra $100.00 in luggage costs worth it? I think so considering that my BC could save my life. Long story short get something that you are comfortable in and that functions well, if that is a travel bc then great, if not well then pay the 50-100 dollars and make sure you dive with something that you are comfortable in. For my recreational gear I use a Seaquest BC.

Oh man this is like asking what religion to take up.

Someone is bound to say "backplate and wing, and go long hose" as your first gear....but don't do it.

That said, a travel BC is fine. But all BCs are travel-able. Wife and I flew all our gear (standard back inflate BCs, not small), clothes etc (no weights or tanks) down to FL a few weeks back. We used two standard roller suitcases and two backpacks. Everything under the weight limit, and we still brought too many clothes. When thinking travel, think about the whole package -> gear+travelcases+whatever and trim weight from the whole. The BC need not be your main area of "compromise".

Consider these: https://www.deepseasupply.com/
http://www.zeagle.com/showproduct/46/Express-Tech/

I always find it interesting when people talk about travel BCDs. I manage to travel with my full size XL SeaQuest ProQD just fine. It actually compacts down quite nicely. I'm a huge advocate of the i3 system. There are people that will tell you not to because you should learn on a traditional one first etc etc but I completely disagree with that philosophy. I did my pool sessions and 4 check outs with the standard corrugated hose style inflator then upon learning of the i3 and the ability to dump in any position, vertical, horizontal, diagonal, upsidedown etc etc I was intrigued and bought it and did some practice in the pool a bunch of times and fell in love. I don't know why you'd dive anything else. It's so simple to use and a lot more convenient. I've done 52 dives on it and I'll never ever look back. Good luck!

I have been diving an Oceanic Probe weight integrated BC for many years and love it. I know it's not on your list but you might want to consider a BC of this type even though it's not advertised as a traveler. When dry it weighs very little. Another option would be an aluminum back plate and a wing. I know someone said not to do it, but just because you are diving a BP/W doesn't mean you have to change your hose configuration. But you should at least look at them as an option. Or even a Dive Rite transpack. I have one of those in a single tank configuration and it is comfy as well and light when dry. B

Any full size jacket is going to feel like a B52 when comparing it to something like the Zeagle Express Tech that would be like an F16. Who you should.get advice from is not shops or people that have only used one or.two types of BC's for a short period of time. If you'll pm me your email I will send you an article that may help.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm very fortunate to have the ability to dive every weekend...average 2-3 tanks in a weekend, sometimes up to 6 tanks in a weekend.

I used to have a "full" feature BCD, all the rings, bells and whistles for some years and trudged along happy as can be. i tried the Scubapro GO with Air-2 SS about a year ago..its been with me to the Philippines, Pohnpei and Bali along with normal weekend duties, estimate 100-150 dives. i have to say it has absolutely stood up to all the challenges ive put it thru, dont miss a thing about my old "full" feature BCD's. You'd have a hard time getting me to change back. i dive a lean set up, reg, wireless transmitter and my wireless DC...no extras like backup pressure gage, compass, SS oct etc.... this arrangement is super easy to travel with...i think the BCD comes in at 5 lbs,less weights.

Might want to add it to the list of BCD's you are considering.

Good luck!
C

I have a few BC’s. My first was a Mares jacket-style, which I still use for knocking around our local quarries. It’s probably only 5 lbs heavier or so than my Aqualung Zuma, which I use solely for travel, but has the lift I need for cold-water diving.

Before I got my Zuma (which I love and you should add to your list of BC's to consider!), I traveled with my heavier jacket-style and it really wasn't a huge problem, but the extra five pounds and additional bulk it frees up in my gear suitcase is used for other things I want to take. I usually bring quite a bit of additional equipment with me (save-a-dive kit, lights, extra mask, smb/reel, additional wetsuit depending, etc..), so it really just depends on your individual preferences.

I don’t see any problem with having a travel BC as your primary, if that’s the majority of diving you plan on doing.

The lightest, easiest to pack BC would be a 17# wing, aluminum or kydex backplate and harness. You could even lighten up the harness by not using stainless steel buckles/d-rings but I wouldn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom