1st and/or 2nd stage leaking problem, please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amoses

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an old Scuba Pro G250/MK10 set up. I had not dove in quite sometime and was getting back into it. I had the regs serviced. I have had nothing but problems ever since. I thought it was the regulators, but am wondering if it might be the 1st stage. My brand new octupus (used 3 times) stuck open on a dive in Cozumel, I sent it back to the manufacturer thinking it was defective.

I purchased a regulator for my BC to eliminate the octupus. Tried it out yesterday and it leaked out the exhaust immediately. I unplugged the regulator (frustrated at my regulator issues) an through the gear in the pool to do some underwater work on the pool. my G250 regulator, which had functioned fine on 3 or 4 dives previous, started leaking out the exhaust as well.

So, with all the regulator issues, I am wondering if it might be something in the 1st stage as opposed to bad regs. Any ideas? I like this set up, not sure why the rebuild isn't taking? Should I just get new gear? The scuba pro regs are supposed to be warranted for life. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I would take it back to whom ever serviced your regs and have them fix. the apparently did not get an adjustment right or muffed up at part when serviced. and then when you go pick it up ask to use there pool (if your LDS has one ) and give it a check out in the pool

I would take it back to whom ever serviced your regs and have them fix. the apparently did not get an adjustment right or muffed up at part when serviced. and then when you go pick it up ask to use there pool (if your LDS has one ) and give it a check out in the pool

Do you think that sounds like a 1st stage issue?

Sounds like you might have IP creep caused by your IP being set too high or a defective or improperly installed high pressure seat.

Sounds like you might have IP creep caused by your IP being set too high or a defective or improperly installed high pressure seat.

Please pardon my ignorance, but is that something in the 1st stage?

Is there good instructions somewhere on how to rebuild a 1st stage, settings, etc., so that I could do this myself? Not sure I want to keep taking this back to the dive shop that keeps messing it up.

Ok, first a little terminology- the entire assembly is your "regulator". The regulator is made up of several parts, the first stage (MK-10), a primary second stage (G250) and another second stage (octo) plus all the hoses and other accessories. The "regulator for my BC" is just a different kind of second stage but a second stage none the less.

Now to the problem. It's difficult to diagnose problems over the internet but what you are describing sounds like a defective first stage. Your tech should have fixed any issues with it when it was in for service but it is all to common for a tech to create as many problems as they fix. If this is a malfunctioning MK-10, it is not a generic problem with the MK-10, far from it, they are a well tested and time proven design but rather a poor service job by your tech. Granted things do fail on their own even after a good service but it's more likely something was done incorrectly. Take the reg back to the tech and have them recheck it.
And don't allow them to hand you a load of BS about the reg being old, unserviceable or a poor design, it's one of SPs best regs of all time and will hold it's own against any reg on the market today if serviced by a good tech. If you are handed that line, find a better shop to deal with, not the new reg they want to sell you.

Herman, thank you very much for that advise. I am taking it back to him tomorrow. We'll see what he says. If he does not fix it, I won't go back to his shop.

IP or intermediate pressure is the pressure between the first and second stage. It should be in the range of 130 to 145 (varies from reg to reg). The exact value is not nearly as important as the pressure remaining constant. A common failure mode is for the IP to slowly increase (creep) up until one or both of the second stages start to freeflow (leak). This is what I suspect is the problem with your first stage. You can easily test it yourself with a simple clip on IP gauge. They are inexpensive and will quickly determine if you do have an IP problem. Here is an example http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/item/Standard-Middle-Pressure-Gauge-3129 There are several things that can cause an unstable IP, way to much to go into here but if you check it, you will at least have some idea of what the problem is.

---------- Post Merged at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:33 PM ----------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom