1mm neoprene in tropical water??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that 1mm will be enough in most Australian waters unless you are a really warm blooded person!

Ningaloo is pretty far north on the continent and we are in 3mm suits even when the water is 28c - and most of the year our water isn't that warm...during a longish dive you'll most likely still feel cool...

If you ever find yourself surfacing in a jelly forest, you'll be glad to be wearing a 3 mil vs. a 1 mil or 0.5 mil. And wishing you were wearing some sort of hood besides. :11: (Ask me how I know!) :wink:

I was surprised that my bodyglove 3/2 fullsuit wasn't too warm even in 86° F waters.

I personally get very cold and I dive with a hyperstretch 7/5 in the tropics. I have never been too warm on a dive. It is a fact that women get colder then men. Most of the women that I dive with dive in a 5mm jumpsuit. I would reccomend that you buy nothing less than a 3mm, even then, if you are generally not a hot person, your gonna get cold in a 3mm. It also depends on how much diving you will be doing. If you are going to be doing multiple dives over multiple days, go with a thicker suit. If you are the type who just jumps in for a couple of dives on a vacation, you could probably go a little thinner. Hope it helps???

Thanks everyone for the help. My husband and I did buy the 1 mm suit just for added warmth when we went diving for our first time in 56 degree water. We just figured when we move to Australia we can always add onto our suit, but you can't subtract from the suit once you buy a thicker suit. We are very new to scuba diving and are very excited about getting started! Thanks for the help!

I use a 2/1 shorty for warm water and a 7MM in cold water.

IMHO if the water is to cold for my 2/1 shorty, its to cold for a 3mm!!!

I have a 3mm full suit and a 3mm shortie. Used the shortie once during last summer, and once during last winter (over my 3mm full suit, 'cause the water temp was 59F). Two weekends ago I dove in 71F water with my 3mm full suit and a beannie hood; 2 dives 45 mins each, no problems. Oh, look where I live..

In Borneo this last week, in 28degC water, wearing a full body 3mm wetsuit I was COLD!!! I might buy a 1mm neoprene suit to wear inside next time around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom