1cm to 5cm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
G16 can do 1cm and rx100m2 with 5cm. Does that really make a huge impact in macro ? Since the rx has 5cm can't a person just slap on a maro lens and beat the g16 in macro.

G16 can do 1cm and rx100m2 with 5cm. Does that really make a huge impact in macro ? Since the rx has 5cm can't a person just slap on a maro lens and beat the g16 in macro.

It doesn't, IMO. I can't imagine taking photos 1 cm away of the subject.

Other people can probably comment on how the minimum focusing distance changes when zooming. Another issue is macro diopters. I have no idea, if this affects those.

What camera do you use uw

What camera do you use uw

Look at my signature. :) G1 X with the Canon housing. I have Canon 5D Mark II for topside and am considering whether to get a housing for it or not.

A safe working distance from the front of the lens is between 3 and 6 inches depending on size of the subject, behavior how the tolerate you etc

Land specifications of minimum focus distance refer to the camera at full wide, you never shoot underwater at 24/28 mm as there is pincushion distortion.
So you are looking at shooting at least at 35mm equivalent that generally requires 3 or more inches anyway
With a close up lens you can zoom at full tele and that is why you need those lenses to shoot macro in water

Getting 2" from a subject at full wide does not achieve a macro picture and is not good for the fish health, unfortunately you see a lot of that with compact camera users without external strobes

I'm about to buy rx1002 or g16 this week, however still not sure which one. Since I'm not going to be 1cm from the subject lol rx100m2 sounds like a nice choice giving the fact of a larger senor. The rx menu just looks imitating! Are there more wet lens for rx then g16?

You GENERALLY wont be able to get as close as 5cm much less 1cm in the first place - so it wont matter all that much.
With DSLRs you're likely looking at 30cm and thats perfectly fine. Admittedly they are bulkier and even harder to get close to the subject with...

I'm about to buy rx1002 or g16 this week, however still not sure which one. Since I'm not going to be 1cm from the subject lol rx100m2 sounds like a nice choice giving the fact of a larger senor. The rx menu just looks imitating! Are there more wet lens for rx then g16?

I think you (but actually many people) do not understand what to look for in terms of magnification and macro in a compact. Wet lens choices for macro are the same for both cameras but that actually makes no difference to the difference in performance

The senor in the rx100m2 is larger and websites clam its 2-3 times larger then the g16. In newbie term how much better is that really. The larger the senor the more area it can absorb the information right. On flicker Ive seen great pic from rx and g16 and its hard to pick which one

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom