1955 Steel 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smithrjd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Got a couple of tanks recently, would like to make a double rig but one is 1984 date with a 3/4" valve other is a 1955 date with a 1/2 tapered valve. Pretty sure that this would be an issue. Both are galvanized both in hydro with current VIS. 55 tank had Hydro in 08/08. VIS and tumble this month. The 55 tank also has a Sherwood 5000PSI K valve installed looks newer to me, did not think that K valves for older tapered tanks were available. Seller said LSD installed new valve. (Ocean Enterprise San Diego) Wondering if anyone would be interested in a trade, so I could get two tanks with the same valves. I am in SoCal. Guessing that the tapered one is harder to find perhaps good for vintage triple.

If your 1955 tank passes the hydro and viz, it's good to go. You should be able to double them.

I see old 72s on here often for very reasonable,should not be too hard to find one,also see some at about every dive shop I visit. good luck

He needs two tanks with the same valve size, he has one 3/4" and one 1/2".

That and they should be the same make as they typically are different lengths and shoulder styles. Even then they may not have been drawn by the same set of dies. I had to look long and hard for a perfectly matched set. The ones I found were from the same batch and mated all of their life. I fussed with spacers in the boots, and who wants boots on a vintage double set.

Trying to ID one of the tanks, (Steel 72) Diamond with an N in the middle, between the month/year date of the first hydro. Norris? No other markings other than DOT 3AA 2250 and the serial number.

That and they should be the same make as they typically are different lengths and shoulder styles. Even then they may not have been drawn by the same set of dies. I had to look long and hard for a perfectly matched set. The ones I found were from the same batch and mated all of their life. I fussed with spacers in the boots, and who wants boots on a vintage double set.

This is a good point. My doubles are two PSTs made a couple of years apart and they're pretty close.

If you had vintage US Divers manifold for 3/4" NPS and 1/2" NPT cylinders, you could mix the two tanks since the fittings to the center piece are the same size. I am not recommending doing this; I am just saying... it is possible since those manifolds are easily found.

It wouldn't be very stylish, but it would be kind of unique.

Last edited:
OR

You could use one of these:
connectormanifold.jpg

If the cylinders are both 6.9" diameter (71.2, 38, 42, 50, Al 50, and Catalina Al 45) this connector manifold will work. You can definitely mix and match valves with it. Here is a Sportsways J-valve with a 1/2" straight (O-ringed) valve and a USD K (model 1960, O-ringed) 3/4" straight valve. Works good.
connectormanifold2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom