1920-to-1440 (by accident)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wgt

Registered
Reaction score
I have QT clips with frame size of 1920 X 1080. Codec = Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).

Final Cut Pro Preferences for the project are set at:

Frame Size = 1920 X 1080
Vid Rate = 29.97
Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
Pixel Aspect = Square

When the first clip is imported into the project, it gets listed with a Frame Size of 1440 X 1080 instead of the expected 1920 X 1080. When I try to move the clip into the timeline, then I get the following message:

"For best performance your sequence and External Video should be set to the format of the clips you are editing."

Somewhere along the way, the clip is either changing or I am being tricked into thinking that it is something different from what it really is.

Can anyone help out a noob?

I'm not a Final Cut expert by any means but it sounds like the problem is that your clips are originally recorded in 1440x1080 so it's warning you of that. A simple test would be to set the preferences to that and see what happens.

Somewhere along the way, the clip is either changing or I am being tricked into thinking that it is something different from what it really is.

You can try this free application to see all parameters of your clip:MediaInfo

This is not a problem, when that message comes on, just click YES and the sequence settings will be set at the format of the first clip you drop in the sequence. The reason you are getting this message in the first place is because your sequence settings don't match the clip format. Not an issue because clicking Yes, will reset your settings for that specific sequence. I would say this,however, unless you are using the Red One or some very hi end cam, there is nothing to be gained by using the Pro Res HQ or 4x4 codec. Use either the Pro Res 422 SQ or Pro Res Light. You will have much smaller files with no loss in quality.
Steve

Back
Top Bottom