18-19 Feb 2007: Crystal River & Homosassa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerlDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
SDI in Huntsville, AL plans a drift dive / manatee swim each year. We were fortunate enough to be able to join "Discover Scuba" folks this year. One interesting fact is that it was sleeting, snowing, and raining while we packed the car to leave. As my fingers and face grew numb, I was repeating to myself "Diving is fun, diving is fun, diving is fun..." through my chattering teeth. It's sleeting and we are driving 13 hours so we can go swimming. What is wrong with this picture?? :)

Joined the Vortex Springs OW class in Tallahassee, FLA Saturday at midnight. Next morning, after an early breakfast, we drove to Dunnellon, FLA for the Rainbow River drift dive.

River was its usual comfy 70+ degrees. ~16 of us were dropped off up stream a ways and we all drifted as a group, going down from time to time in the deeper parts to see the sand boiling as the springs were feeding the river through the river floor. Viz was 30+ feet. Depth was 20+ ft in places, and only 4 ft in others. Saw small assortment of fish but they mostly kept their distance. They weren't as interested in the divers as are the Vortex Springs fish. Saw a really nice shell and tried to kick against the current to pick it up - 5 seconds later I decided not to waste my time trying that stunt, again. Later, the instructor said it was just as well because he got a closer look at the shell and it was "alive". I would have had to have thrown it back, anyway. Water was clear enough that you could snorkle at the surface and still see all the group activities taking place on the river floor.

After the drift dive, we headed to Homosassa, FLA to the Riverside Resort. Got checked in, cleaned up and had a very nice group dinner at the resort. Next morning, had an 8 am boat ride to snorkle with the manatees. Air temp was 37 degrees with a 10 MPH headwind. My boots and gloves were still a little damp from previous day, so by the time we arrived at the manatees sanctuary, I could feel neither my toes nor fingers. Put my feet in the water, and ahhhh, that warmed them up immediately as the water temp was similar to the river - 70+ degrees. Viz was about 15 ft until we stirred up the 4 ft bottom particles. Still, viz stayed at least 8 - 10 ft. Swam a few minute before finding our first manatee. Daughter and I pet it, but it acted like it was late for an appt. We found one about 10 ft long that was in a playful mood, and it swam around us for about 20 minutes getting its back rubbed and scratched. It kept rolling over on its side to get this tummy rubbed, too. Being a ton or two in weight, they are most definitely gentle giants. This one seemed to like to look you face to face. It was as curious of who you were as you were of it. My son actually got semi-trapped between two of them which were both trying to get a free back scratch, and he thought he might get squished, but he was fine and enjoyed being around two playful ones at the same time. Some saw a baby calf, but I never saw it. After about an hour+, we got back into the boat and headed back to the hotel. 3 layers of clothes and a towel wrapped around me, plus a bright sun, made the boat ride back to the dock quite a bit warmer.

Being our first "real" road trip with a schedule, as well as our first boat dive, we are making some adjustments in the way we organize ourselves. Wasn't bad this time, but some things could have been smoother. There are 4 of us - luggage for 4 - in 1 motel room - and 4 complete sets of gear - that includes 1 teen and 1 pre-teen. A few minor tweaks here and there is going to better streamline our process so that we don't feel quite so rushed next time.

Photo gallery will be updated soon with trip pics. First time to use this new camera - still learning the ropes of underwater photography. It's more difficult than it looks. :)
http://www.the-jacobs.org/bin/photo_gallery.pl

Stats:
- home - snow, sleet, freezing rain while loading up car for trip ("Diving is fun, ...)
- FLA lows - morning temps in upper 30's with brisk wind 5-10 MPH gusts
- FLA highs - mid 50's and sunny both days
- Viz - Crystal River (35+ ft) - Manatees (10 ft - but only 4-5 ft of water)
- River - Crowded at dock, but well spread out in water
- Manatees - quite playful that morning
- Miles driven - 1220 miles

Nice write up.. We did a Manatee snorkel back in November and it was awesome.. I will be going back next "winter" for sure.. There are some pics of our manatees on my website also, if you are interested...Listed below..

I'll be in Florida diving at Crystal River this Saturday! Reading your post made me even more excited! Sounds like a great dive... minus the sleet and rain. :wink:

Caleb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom