Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apex vs. Ali-whatever vs. DGX spools aside, I bought a spool with flat Dacron line and I’m definitely NOT a fan of it. Even with a swivel I found it twists so much that the advantage of flat line (lower overall diameter for a given distance when wound on a spool compared to round line) is negated the first time the line is deployed.

#24 cave line for the win.

I found something similar with the first unwinding at home. It twisted multiple times in the space of three feet.
But the problem disappeared for me after hand rewinding, and didn't occur in-water (despite letting go of the spool when the serrations stung me). I wonder if it's a manufacturing issue, and whether the supplier makes a difference. There were some negative comments about the AliExpress flat line.
I just ordered 900' more from DGX (not AliExpress) for my Light Monkey reel. We'll see how much I can fit, but if it's more than the 400' of round line, that'll be good. I don't want to drop strength.
But that much line will put @NothingClever 's observation to the test. If that much line twists a lot, I don't think I'll get it all back on the reel. More to follow...

I just ordered 900' more from DGX (not AliExpress) for my Light Monkey reel. We'll see how much I can fit, but if it's more than the 400' of round line, that'll be good.

About 550ft per DGX.

I personally just use it on my spools, on reels I figure 400ft for my Dive Rite classic is enough. I have a larger Dive Soft reel, but I would never take a $150 reel in open water for shooting a DSMB.

Mark at DGX was in touch with some news: the supplier for their high-vis line is kaput. Business closing. So at least in their current high-vis bulk stock, when that is gone, there will be no more. Mark is very pleased with his version of the tape, and is going to be able to supply it in bulk. Chartreuse and white are coming in addition to the orange.

If you're a DGX hi-vis round braid die-hard, better stock up before it's all gone.

As a side note, I queried Mark specifically about the lateral abrasion resistance of the tape (say, on a rock in a cave) and he replied that the new tape is better than the round dacron! I'm sure we'll have folks here putting that to the test shortly. :D

Despite my confidence, I’m not very impressed with myself so I readily recognize my dislike for the flat line could be due to operator incompetence.

Back
Top Bottom