16 day trip, 2 novice divers looking for planning/site advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey... How about me??:shocked2: I said it first...:cool2::rofl3:

I am going to agree with Matt that you want to pick a maximum of 3 locations and the Visayas is a good choice, Roger

Thanks to everyone for your input, this has been great information.
(It's difficult to plan a vacation on the other side of the world - especially when there are so many great places to go/see in the Philippines.)
And the little tips here and there have been very helpful as well. Thanks to everyone who offered some assistance to us. :clapping:

First:
Yes, it has been REALLY cold here in Ontario - until today! (but it looks like it'll be back to -5 degrees Celcius next Tues with a windchill of -13. Brrr.) :)
And yes, we are really looking forward to our trip to the Philippines and read that scuba divers that have gone to the Philippines, on average, return 10 times.
So by the sounds of things....yes, we will keep saving so we can keep going. :) *laugh*
And I have already changed some $CAD into Philippine Pesos and will get some $USD (if that's necessary?).

Okay, so from what I am gathering here, it sounds like many of you are of the same thoughts, so I was thinking this may be a good itinerary for us.....

- will be in Manila from Feb 27-March 1 (2 nights)
- March 1 - leave Manila and fly to Cebu.
- March 1 - travel to Dumaguete (by ferry?)
- March 1-5 in Dumaguete/APO Island (4 nights)
- March 5 - travel to Moalboal (boat and overland?)
- March 5 - 10 spend a few days in Moalboal (5 nights)
- March 10 travel to Malapascua (overland and boat?)
- March 10-15 in Malapascua (5 nights)
- March 15 travel back to Cebu then fly back to Manila as I fly home early on the 16th (or should we leave on the 14th and start travelling then just in case?)

Or, can/should we shave a day off of each place and add in Bohol somewhere?
And if so, where's a good place to add it (first upon arriving in Cebu and taking a ferry over? - then taking the ferry back to Cebu and taking another down to Dumaguete?)?

Which location might it be a good idea for us to get our AOWD, right at the beginning or in Moalboal?

Now for my next question(s) - travelling :confused6:
1) Do we need to pre-book any ferry/boat trips or can we show up and buy them the day of travel?
2) getting from Dumaguete to Moalboal - do we go back to Cebu and go down via road? or should we go north of Dumaguete to Tampi and take a boat (are there any that run every day - or can we hire one - I can't tell if it's too far) to Bato? and then go north on the road to Moalboal?
3) do we go up the road from Moalboal to Maya and cross by boat there to Malapascua? Or is it better to go back to Cebu and go from there?

Thoughts on the itinerary....is it doable, a good pace, in the right order?
Comments on the logistics of getting from A-B-C?

Once we have that nailed down, I will look into where to stay/who to dive with.

Okay, I think that's it for now.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers!
T&R

OK, a few comments (other will also chime in I'm sure).
1- be carefull how much cash you bring into the country; there is a limit (I think it's 10000PP, but not 100% sure. Look into this. I brought a lot more (didn't know), but they never checked me. Although if they had, I wouldn't have been happy... :no:

2- Limit the number of destination you want to dive because A- it's going to make travelling logisticsa lot tighter/ harder / stressfull and B- All these destinations deserve more than 2-3 days diving to fully appreciate what they have to offer, so do less and do them better so you really enjoy them! Keep some other destinations for another trip (yes, you Will want to go back...:cool2:). 3 destinations is already a lot!

Travelling... Keep yourself some room for unexpected changes in travelling plans. It's the Philippines...:coffee: All kinds of things can happen to delay you (including storms). Don't overdoo it... Just build in some margin for your plans...

I'll let others give their 0.02$ on the other stuff...

Lucky galls... I've wanted to return since I got back, but haven't been able to...:(

Thanks to everyone for your input, this has been great information.
(It's difficult to plan a vacation on the other side of the world - especially when there are so many great places to go/see in the Philippines.)
And the little tips here and there have been very helpful as well. Thanks to everyone who offered some assistance to us. :clapping:

First:
Yes, it has been REALLY cold here in Ontario - until today! (but it looks like it'll be back to -5 degrees Celcius next Tues with a windchill of -13. Brrr.) :)
And yes, we are really looking forward to our trip to the Philippines and read that scuba divers that have gone to the Philippines, on average, return 10 times.
So by the sounds of things....yes, we will keep saving so we can keep going. :) *laugh*
And I have already changed some $CAD into Philippine Pesos and will get some $USD (if that's necessary?).

Okay, so from what I am gathering here, it sounds like many of you are of the same thoughts, so I was thinking this may be a good itinerary for us.....

- March 15 travel back to Cebu then fly back to Manila as I fly home early on the 16th (or should we leave on the 14th and start travelling then just in case?)

Or, can/should we shave a day off of each place and add in Bohol somewhere?
And if so, where's a good place to add it (first upon arriving in Cebu and taking a ferry over? - then taking the ferry back to Cebu and taking another down to Dumaguete?)?

Which location might it be a good idea for us to get our AOWD, right at the beginning or in Moalboal?

1) Do we need to pre-book any ferry/boat trips or can we show up and buy them the day of travel?
2) getting from Dumaguete to Moalboal - do we go back to Cebu and go down via road? or should we go north of Dumaguete to Tampi and take a boat (are there any that run every day - or can we hire one - I can't tell if it's too far) to Bato? and then go north on the road to Moalboal?
3) do we go up the road from Moalboal to Maya and cross by boat there to Malapascua? Or is it better to go back to Cebu and go from there?

Once we have that nailed down, I will look into where to stay/who to dive with.

Okay, I think that's it for now.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers!
T&R

In my opinion, you are trying to cram too much in too little time. I completely agree with CODMAN's comments:
"Limit the number of destination you want to dive because A- it's going to make travelling logisticsa lot tighter/ harder / stressfull and B- All these destinations deserve more than 2-3 days diving to fully appreciate what they have to offer, so do less and do them better so you really enjoy them! Keep some other destinations for another trip (yes, you Will want to go back...). 3 destinations is already a lot!"

and

"Travelling... Keep yourself some room for unexpected changes in travelling plans. It's the Philippines... All kinds of things can happen to delay you (including storms). Don't overdoo it... Just build in some margin for your plans..."

My suggestion, skip Dumaguete on this trip. Dumaguete can make for a very good reason for you to go back for more in a future time. In the meantime, I suggest inserting Bohol (Alona Beach) instead. Just because it is a way lot easier to take the fast ferry between Tagbilaran (Bohol main port) and Cebu. You can fly directly into Dumaguete from Manila. However, travelling between Dumaguete to Cebu might involve another flight. Maybe someone else can chime in but if there is ferry service between Dumaguete and Moalboal, it might be infrequent or irregular or one-trip-a-day thing. I believe ANNASEA in this forum has done the Dumaguete-Soquijor-Moalboal boat ride.

Here's my suggestion:
Feb. 27 to March 1 - Manila (2 nights)

March 1 - Fly from Manila to Tagbilaran, Bohol. Dive resort can arrange shuttle/transport to Alona Beach. Watch for airline seat sales as early as now. I just booked a Manila-Tagbilaran-Manila flight for my June trip and it just cost me $30 (round trip).

March 1 - 5: Take you AOW course at Alona Beach. Some top must-dive spots are BBC (Bohol Beach Club House Reef) and Balicasag Island.

March 5: Take shuttle back to Tagbilaran and hop on fast ferry to Cebu. Take taxi to bus terminal and catch bus to Maya. Then hop on a boat to Malapascua. If you want more tips, MATT_REED and others in this board can help you. Dive resorts in Malapascua can also arrange for private transport to take you from Cebu to Maya then across to Malapascua.

March 5 - 9: Malapascua.

March 9: Head back to Cebu and then take public or private transport to Moalboal.

March 9 - 14: Moalboal

March 14: Head back to Cebu and catch flight back to Manila.

March 14 to 16: Manila. 16th fly out. There's one day in there for just in case scenarios. Plus to you get some rest before your long haul flight.

No pre-bookings on smaller ferry boat trips. Just get to the terminal, pay your fare, and hop-on.

What you should look out for right now are domestic airline seat sales. Domestic airline companies include Zest Air, Cebu Pacific, and Air Philippines.

My 2 cents worth, based on last year's trip.

Stick to two destinations and spend more time diving.

Skip Manila, hop on a flight to Tagbilaran, and stay at Alona Beach. The Oasis Resort is on the beach, and have a good dive operation, and there are a number of diverse dive areas. Alona Beach is a smallish tourist area, and there are a number of restaurants and such. A good place to mix.

Catch the ferry to Dumaguete City, and stay at the Apo Island Beach Resort, which is across from Dauin. It's a small place with quite good diving, and actually one of my favorite destinations. Note, however, that there is no hot [or running] water, aircon, or even electricity for part of the day. The diving is worth it though.

If this seems too rustic for you, stay somewhere in Dauin instead. Mike's []Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines is a small and cozy place where you will get individual attention, and it has a nice pool. If you are more into the diver resort experience, then the Atlantis Resort is a good choice.

Then, back to Dumaguete for a flight to Manila with same day connections back home. Again, why bother spending time in Manila? You can rest on the flight. Nothing else to do anyway.

The Philippines has a number of good dive destinations, as does Indonesia. You could dive only these two countries for years and years, without feeling like you've missed out on anything. Don't try to cover too much ground too quickly, and always have a list of places for the next trips.

My personal preference is to find a good, solid dive destination, then stay put for 2 weeks, or longer, and really experience the place. Many prefer to relocate every few days, but I prefer to spend my time diving, not in transit.

My trip started in Manila, went down to Bohol, over to Cebu, and back to Manila. You can see my results here.

If you want to get your AOW in Moalboal, I can recommend Dino at Savedra dive shop. He was my instructor for AOW and was very professional. As far as pesos go...if you run out in Moalboal than the closest real ATM is two hours away in Carcar...ask me how I know! The dive shops take credit cards but add a fee for it. I think just about all of the restaurants and many of the resorts are cash only.

Hope this helps.

I know planning the trip is part of the fun, and of course it's nice to have a list of things you'd like to see & do, and know some of the ins & outs... but IMHO, you're overthinking it

The Philippines is a wonderful, relaxed, friendly, enjoyable place, with so much to see... in addition to what you've been told by everybody else (don't try to go to too many places) my best bit of advice is - apart from flights - try to stay as flexible as you can with your plans. Travelling from place to place in the Philippines can be slo-o-o-ow so the less you do of it the better

I see so many people come to the PI with plans to spend 2 days here and 3 days there, and a lot of them wind up finding somewhere they love and staying 5 days or a week in the one spot. The variety of underwater and topside entertainment is so diverse that you can do that and not get bored

Have your plans by all means, but be prepared to arrive somewhere, walk the beach & meet some people that will tell you about something that sounds really awesome that you didn't read about in a book or on the internet. You don't need to have everything planned, booked, reserved or otherwise nailed down before you even get there

Pack your credit cards, passports & bathing suits, stuff some US$ in your sock and remember that sometimes the best part of your holidays are when things don't go according to plan

Have a great trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom