15 dives in four days with the TPII

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ari

Reaction score
Just had the opportunity to really try the TPII setup during a 4 day, 15 dives safari.

Worked great with one 15 liter steel tank and the rec wings.

Some adjustments are still necessary on the shoulder straps but the clean design makes this setup very comfortable for the kind of dives I do.

Ari :)

Glad you are enjoying it Ari. Did it make the same impression on you as it did for me on Shore dives.

I just have lasting image of the rest of my group struggling across the rocks from the blue hole to the bells in Dahab, stopping every two meters, shuffling across the rocks etc. Whereas with the TPII Is was able to stoll through as if it was a rucksack.

Out of curiousity how much lead were you carrying with the 15L Steel ? I discovered recently that with the TPII, a 5mm Semi and a 12L Steel I was slightly negative in Fresh water.

Cheers

Conor

Yes the impression was very good. I just think that I have to make some adjustments to the shoulder straps. it is very solid and very controlable.

With the 15 liter steel and the 3mm full suit, I wear about 11 lbs.

I think I can get much lower with my current setup to, probably, 6-8 lbs all together. Remember that a 12 liter steel tank is much more negative than the 15 liter.

I lost about 2kg when I started using the TPII and found it a lot more comfortable and maneuverable both in and out of the water.

I think it takes a while to get the straps just right. I have mine pulled up quite tight, in order to have enough space below the belt for a weight belt. The downside to this is that it pulls the whole harness up high and the tank with it. In fact I rarely use the top camband, it essentially just rests around the top of the tank.

Do you guys use the weight pouches at all ? and opinions on them ?

Ari, I have the metal connecting plate pushed right back, about an inch or two from the rear panel. I would have it further but that position is most convenient when I have the slate pouch on.

I use a pocket weight belt I got from ID sewing (the owner is a scubaboard member). I use soft weights and usually place them in my rear pocekets. I use a 3 # in the back pocket (out of 5 pockets), just under the tank and 2X2 or 2X4 lbs on the side (also to the rear of the belt) for a total of 7-11 lbs, depending on the setup. Without a wetsuit, I drop most of this weight.

I like the wight belt concept as ditching it is case of trouble is very very straight forward.

I will move the connecting piece more to the rear and see what happens.

I use both cam straps on the 15 liter tank. The top one is as high on the tank as possible. The tank does ride high but does not disturb me, as I prefer some of the weight to move up and offset the weight belt.

Back
Top Bottom