120/20 rule or a 130 rule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floater has pointed out correctly, that there is no *min* SI mentioned in the 5thd-x posting.

He has taken that to mean that a zero SI is allowable. That's *not* what 5thd-x taught me.

So now Floater is going to either

1) Go do the dives and show us the profiles
OR
2) admit that the profiles he said he'd do are too aggressive and he'd actually do something more like the rest of us mortals would do.

Which is it Floater?

*Floater*:
Reply sent and I still think those sets of rules are basically the same except for the 60 minute restriction.

Then you are reading a different set of rules.
It does not mention pauses are 30 sec pauses, 30 sec moves.
Stops are from 50% depth, NOT 40 feet
SI less than 90 means 2 min stops at 30, 20, 10

(and yes it states that these are minimums)

So are we gonna see the profiles or not?

Are we going to start a "Floater got bent" pool?

amascuba:
Are we going to start a "Floater got bent" pool?

Honestly? I'd feel wretched if Floater got bent. I just think he mis-spoke and may need to admit that he'd actually scale back those dive profiles if he really had to do them.

Or maybe a GUE instructor will stop by and say "No, really it's fine"

EDIT: I guess technically Martin Lorenzo has already said the profiles are "just fine" that just doesn't seem to fit with anythign that anyone except Floater has been taught.

limeyx:
Honestly? I'd feel wretched if Floater got bent. I just think he mis-spoke and may need to admit that he'd actually scale back those dive profiles if he really had to do them.

Or maybe a GUE instructor will stop by and say "No, really it's fine"

EDIT: I guess technically Martin Lorenzo has already said the profiles are "just fine" that just doesn't seem to fit with anythign that anyone except Floater has been taught.

I wouldn't want him to get bent either. He had posted several month ago about doing profiles possibly doing those types of profiles during a trip to the red sea. I don't know if he ever did those profiles or not. I thought the profiles were overly aggressive then and I still do.

amascuba:
I wouldn't want him to get bent either. He had posted several month ago about doing profiles possibly doing those types of profiles during a trip to the red sea. I don't know if he ever did those profiles or not. I thought the profiles were overly aggressive then and I still do.

On one of my dive trips I was hoping to squeeze in a few extra dives by using short SI's, but not anything as aggressive as the 4 100' 30min dives on EAN32 with 20' SI's and non-padded linear min deco ascents. However, the diving sucked on that particular trip and I ended up just doing shallow reef dives which were nowhere near the NDL's.

As for actually trying out the above example, it would be pretty difficult for me because most people don't dive that way so I'd probably have to do it solo. But I would still need to rent the tanks and find a boat ride and most shops or captains probably wouldn't take me on such solo dives anyway (I don't even have a solo cert), and even if they would I imagine it would be fairly expensive and it wouldn't prove anything except maybe make some posters here happy, so what would be the point?

Now I'd love to do some regular or aggressive dives if I could get Doppler bubble tested between/after them to see what goes on inside.

*Floater*:
On one of my dive trips I was hoping to squeeze in a few extra dives by using short SI's, but not anything as aggressive as the 4 100' 30min dives on EAN32 with 20' SI's and non-padded linear min deco ascents. However, the diving sucked on that particular trip and I ended up just doing shallow reef dives which were nowhere near the NDL's.

As for actually trying out the above example, it would be pretty difficult for me because most people don't dive that way so I'd probably have to do it solo. But I would still need to rent the tanks and find a boat ride and most shops or captains probably wouldn't take me on such solo dives anyway (I don't even have a solo cert), and even if they would I imagine it would be fairly expensive and it wouldn't prove anything except maybe make some posters here happy, so what would be the point?

Now I'd love to do some regular or aggressive dives if I could get Doppler bubble tested between/after them to see what goes on inside.

I would like to be apart of some doppler studies as well, even as the genie pig. I probably wouldn't do 4 x 100ft dives with 20min SI's though, unless I had a proper deco procedure to follow. The closest that I've ever come to anything like that was 2 x 80ft dives at 30min with 45min surface intervals inbetween. I felt fine after the dives and went on to do three other dives that day that were shallower and had a 2 hour SI between the second and third dive.

*Floater*:
But I would still need to rent the tanks and find a boat ride and most shops or captains probably wouldn't take me on such solo dives anyway (I don't even have a solo cert),

A solo cert? Does this actually exist? Is there an agency out there that annoints people as card carrying strokes?

RTodd:
A solo cert? Does this actually exist? Is there an agency out there that annoints people as card carrying strokes?

Solo Diver Course
One of SDI’s most popular courses, the solo diver program teaches experienced recreational divers how to safely dive independently of a dive buddy. The course stresses proper dive planning and accident prevention and in the benefits, hazards, and proper procedures for diving solo

link: http://www.tdisdi.com/sdi/sdicourses.html#Solo

So I guess if you have a solo card and are using a SDI facility then they'll have no problem letting you dive solo. Most resorts I've been to though have rules about not diving without a buddy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom