12 stops to Palau???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

farsidefan1

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Holy schnikes, I just checked my travel arrangements to Palau. I know I should have looked at this much earler, I made the reservations in July and just trusted the travel agent. DOH. I go from Salt Lake City to LA, Hawaii two stops on marshall islands, some other islands I can't remember, then Truk, Yap, Guam all before I get to Palau. You gotta be kidding me! The trip is not till Feb so I'm hoping I can rearrange my shcedule. Is this a standard practice?? Thanks

When I was checking flights for Nov 2011 there were a few options: SLC, Hawaii, Guam, Palau or SLC, Houston, Guam and Palau were the shortest.

You are on the "Island hopper" that goes from Hawaii, thru FSM and Marshal Islands before a layover in Guam for the Palau Flight.

A shorter and easier route is Hawaii to Guam direct. This flight is always full so it is more expensive, maybe your travel agent used cost as a determining factor for your itinerary.

Both of these flights are continental and Guam is "the hub" for this area so connections are made through there.

Good luck on rearranging your flight, if not consider a couple day layover in Pohnepei or Chuuk for some great diving!

Ah, the good old Ilsand hopper. I'm happy to spend another $500. or $1000. to arrive well rested. I'll see what they want in damages. hawaii, guam, palau sounds pretty stinkin good compared to what I have (although some divig in Truk is very interesting). Thanks.

Also, some of the schedules change day by day. You may, for example, be able to reduce the number of stops by flying on a different day. Also, if you can change your ticket, you may be able to fly via Japan or Korea.

Lucky man, do u know how much would some ppl pay to get to all these beautiful islands? :) Just make each stop last 3-4 days and enjoy all that great diving en-route! :) The stop-overs should not increase price of the ticket that much.

Seriously, nobody here has mentioned flying through Taipei. China Airlines (confusing as it may be, this is Taiwan airline, not China's, whose name is Air of China ;-) flight to Koror takes 5hrs and on Kayak it shows a return flight TPE-KOR on randomly chosen December dates costs 900 eur, and LAX-KOR flight through TPE costs 1400+ eur, 26hrs flight time.

And trust me, Taiwan is MUCH MUCH MUCH better island to spend a day or two waiting for another flight then Guam.. :) Diving in Taiwan is of course no match to Palau, but the pygmy sea horse in Kenting is nice.

L.

In a similar theme to the above post Continental operate a few flights a week from the Philippines (Manila) direct to Palau, there's plenty of direct flights to Manila from several US locations so getting there in three flights/two stops shouldn't be difficult if the dates suit.

The old airport in Manila (which is still used by all internaltional operators except for Philippine Airlines) is not exactly somewhere you'd want to spend a stop over - hover the diving a few hours drive from Manila is first class if you want a diving stop over!

Good luck on finding a shorter flight!

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom