12-50 EZ Port Adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amy B-G

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It appears that currently Nauticam port is the only one that will allow the use of the macro function with the 12-50 EZ lens. If that is true, is there an adapter that exists to use that nauticam port with another housing type?

For example, is it possible to use the nauticam port with an AOI housing?

Or if there is another port type that allows access to three macro function, which manufacturer?

I think you are stuck, I don't think there is an adapter to use Nauticam ports on AOI and if there were it probably wouldn't allow the port to line up well with the lens switch.
Bill

That's what I figured. Not sure why noone else has made a port that allows the macro function.

Have you seen the Nauticam port, it is ridiculously (even for Nauticam) complicated since it is not just a switch (AOI makes a port that can address the switch on the Oly 90) but the whole lens has to slide forward, while depressing a button.
BVA

You get over the "complication" as soon as you manage to install the gear and start using the lens (if you do it right. It took me a couple of tries to do it right :) )

My comment about the complication is that the engineering effort is substantial and I am not sure how many folks use the lens a lot. I have it of course but hardly use it and find that it isn't wide enough for wide nor macro enough for macro. On the backscatter site they show the port for the OM-1 housing, I wonder if the port you already have will work for it. I did use the 12-50 on the AOI housing for the OM-1 in Komodo at Christmas to shoot mantas and it was fine but mostly I am shooting one of the macro lenses.
Bill

My comment about the complication is that the engineering effort is substantial and I am not sure how many folks use the lens a lot. I have it of course but hardly use it and find that it isn't wide enough for wide nor macro enough for macro. On the backscatter site they show the port for the OM-1 housing, I wonder if the port you already have will work for it. I did use the 12-50 on the AOI housing for the OM-1 in Komodo at Christmas to shoot mantas and it was fine but mostly I am shooting one of the macro lenses.
Bill
Hi Bill, I’m very interested in your Komodo manta shooting experience with this lens as I’m looking at it for a trip in July also for shooting mantas and possibly whales as I’m concerned that the 8mm fisheye might be a little too wide / require getting too close.

I have the Olympus housing though so different attachment system for ports. I’m hoping that the lens will fit behind the OMD PPO EP02 dome port. I’ve heard from others that it fits in the same OMD macro port as the 60mm macro and because, according to Olympus’ lens/port chart, the 60mm fits in the dome, I’m hoping the 12-50mm will too. I’m also told it’s a good option for attaching wet lenses to as it fits right up close to the end of the flat port and because of the fly-by-wire zoom doesn’t move.

Any comments or advice appreciated!

The 12-50 fits in the same port as the 60 macro. If you have the zoom ring (I didn't) then you should be fully set. Before jumping in, I set the zoom to about 15-17 mm and the mantas were pretty easy to shoot that way. The 8mm fisheye will be tough unless the mantas are right on top of you.
Bill

The 12-50 fits in the same port as the 60 macro. If you have the zoom ring (I didn't) then you should be fully set. Before jumping in, I set the zoom to about 15-17 mm and the mantas were pretty easy to shoot that way. The 8mm fisheye will be tough unless the mantas are right on top of you.
Bill
Thanks Bill! That’s very helpful. I will be getting a 3D printed zoom ring to work with it, and given your experience with the focal length, I have a 17mm f1.8 prime I haven’t used topside since getting the 12-100mm pro, that might also work as an alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom