12/3 Monterey/Carmel Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

great pictures.

Wow, Keep up the good work. Were the Salp photos taken in Macro or SuperMacro if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks everyone. The Ballbuster dive where we saw the Salps was at 92 feet. (We missed our anchorpoint at Ballbuster by about 50 feet, but there was great stuff nearby, so we never went. The Salp shots were taken in macro, f5.6@1/60 from about 18" away. There was a school of Blue Rockfish nibbling them (only once each, another good indicator that they were salps.) but I failed to get any good shots of that unfortunately.

Thanks, Marc. Biggest one I've ever seen, by half, that wasn't a Sea Hare.

Nice shots Larry. You have some colorful coral in that cold water.

Very nice. Sounds like a great dive. Probably a bit cold for me, but I would have done it anyway.

Thanks Gilligan, Carmel has fantastic color, love the rock diving there. Thanks Shaka Zulu and Dennis. Dennis, it was actually pretty warm by Monterey standards, especially for Carmel. I had 57 degrees at the surface and 54 at 70 plus feet. Winter diving is typically warmer here due to the cold water upwellings from the 10,000ft. Monterey Canyon in Spring and Summer, when we had 47-52 degrees (brrrr). See a lot of dry suits around here (like my wife's, who used too shiver after about 8-12 minutes).. I have yet to go over to the dark side though. Probably too cheap for the $1-3K price tag!

Nice pics Larry - those purple corals look exactly like the stuff we get over here .

I recently bought a dry suit - our water temps are like yours - I certainly don't regret "taking the plunge" so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom