12/3 Monterey/Carmel Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Had two awesome dives today. First one, Outer Pinnacles, Carmel. Great vis, beautiful stuff. 10 feet of surge between the canyons and a ripping surface current on return to the boat.
Second dive, near Ballbuster off Point Pinos, Monterey/Pacific Grove. Great vis, great stuff, zero current-unusual for that spot.

Outer Pinnacles
Male Kelp Greenling
PC030021-02pssm.jpg

Gopher Rockfish
PC030015-01pssm.jpg

Some reef colors
PC030009-01pssm.jpg

PC030004-01pssm.jpg

Point Pinos/Ballbuster Area
Egg Pouch
PC030040-01pssm.jpg

Egg Pouch with little fellas growing inside
PC030041-01ps2sm.jpg

Metridium Anemones
PC030025-01pssm.jpg

More Metrys
PC030026-01pssm.jpg

Canteloupe size nudi
PC030048-01pssm.jpg

Nice ones Larry. Great colors and detail on the fish shots.

I think what you are calling egg casings are actually salps, a kind of free swimming tunicate. If they are the same, a previous thread on these critters can be found here

Thanks Alcina, Kapula, Nick and Ben

calypsonick:
I think what you are calling egg casings are actually salps, a kind of free swimming tunicate. If they are the same, a previous thread on these critters can be found here

When I first saw it, Nick, I thought it was a salp chain or siphonophore of some sort. This changed my mind, but after checking your thread I was probably right in the first place. The appearance of developing eyes and a snout on the part below may be a ruse.
PC030041-01ps2crop.jpg

Lovely pictures, and they brought back great memories of diving Outer Pinnacle when we were down there. It was so amazing to see such incredible color in cold water. Thanks for putting them up.

Great stuff Larry. Makes me want to head up to Monterey right now!! Those are all terrific California photos, wonderful colors. Thanks, ++Ken++

As others have said, beautiful shots. Thanks for posting.

Dave

I was just up that way recently...but my camera is broken :(

I LOVE the kelp grgeenlings...I can't decide which sex I like better...the blue males or the cheeky orange/red females?

Those are definately salps...so, how deep were you? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom